Favorite HO Models - Printable Version

+- (https://bigbluetrains.com)
+-- Forum: Mainline (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+--- Forum: HO Modeling (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=21)
+--- Thread: Favorite HO Models (/showthread.php?tid=14)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Re: Favorite HO Models - COMBAT - 12-16-2008

Since I am a BNSF fan this has to be one of if not my favorite engine! 2285_

[Image: 78590_9_122_784lo.jpg]

[Image: 78600_8_122_3lo.jpg]

[Image: 78475_13_122_405lo.jpg]

Re: Favorite HO Models - Puddlejumper - 12-16-2008

Some of my favorite HO models. I don't have a layout right now, but when I do these cars represent the 2 biggest players in town...
PRR
[Image: DSCN3340.jpg?t=1229446839]
and B&O
[Image: DSCN3342.jpg?t=1229446868]
and here is one to represent the home road, the B&P.
[Image: DSCN3347.jpg?t=1229446897]
The other player is the RF&P but my RF&P unit is packed away.

Dave

Re: Favorite HO Models - Russ Bellinis - 12-16-2008

Andrew, I haven't figured out how to quote a post yet so I'm just responding to your quest to put a decoder in your rail bus. I have a P2k sw7 that needed a decoder, but had very little space available. I didn't want the decoder to be visible in the cab, so I found an n-scale decoder that was small enough to fit in a small space created with a false roof in the cab. Looking at the pic if a small decoder won't fit under the hood, I'm wondering if it would fit under the floor boards below the driver's feet? You might have to amputate the lpb's feet to put in a raised floor board to give enough clearance for the decoder. If you want sound, you could probably locate the speaker in the baggage compartment in back. I'm presuming that the model is powered by the front truck with the motor being under the hood. If the model is actually powered by a motor in the baggage compartment driving the back wheel, then it might have room for a small decoder under the hood. For a speaker, if there isn't room in the baggage compartment, you might be able to raise the floor in the passenger compartment and amputate legs of lpb's to allow it to be mounted there.

Re: Favorite HO Models - MasonJar - 12-16-2008

Russ Bellinis Wrote:Andrew, I haven't figured out how to quote a post yet so I'm just responding to your quest to put a decoder in your rail bus. I have a P2k sw7 that needed a decoder, but had very little space available. I didn't want the decoder to be visible in the cab, so I found an n-scale decoder that was small enough to fit in a small space created with a false roof in the cab. Looking at the pic if a small decoder won't fit under the hood, I'm wondering if it would fit under the floor boards below the driver's feet? You might have to amputate the lpb's feet to put in a raised floor board to give enough clearance for the decoder. If you want sound, you could probably locate the speaker in the baggage compartment in back. I'm presuming that the model is powered by the front truck with the motor being under the hood. If the model is actually powered by a motor in the baggage compartment driving the back wheel, then it might have room for a small decoder under the hood. For a speaker, if there isn't room in the baggage compartment, you might be able to raise the floor in the passenger compartment and amputate legs of lpb's to allow it to be mounted there.

Thanks Russ...

To quote, click the "Quote button which should appear in the upper right of each post. We do not have the multi-quote in place yet, but the single one should at least work. If you're not seeing it, please let me know.

Thanks for the suggestions. A bit more about the interior of the bus might help and maybe you have more suggestions...!?

The baggage compartment (at the back) is available, but is only about 1 cubic inch. Under the hood is even smaller, and the space there is not contiguous with the interior of the bus. The interior is full (seats, and a couple of passengers & driver who are already double amputees). The motor is below the floor. The other challenge (if that's not enough) is that the pickups are only from the rear wheels, and they are placed so they go almost direrctly to the motor. It would be very hard to isolate the motor. I'll try to get some more pictures up so you can see what we're looking at. Because of the limited pickups, it stalls at every insulated turnout, and would need a capacitor to keep the decoder from resetting all the time.

Thanks!

Andrew

Re: Favorite HO Models - Tom - 12-16-2008

MasonJar Wrote:One of my favourites - not a great pic, but it gives you an idea.

[Image: image.php?album_id=34&image_id=52]

This railbus will eventually be lettered for my fictional OA&GB Rwy. I have to figure out how to get a decoder into it - already stumped one DCC guru at the club... :?:

Andrew

That thing is COOL, who makes that?

Tom,

It's a Lambert Railbus. Brass model circa 1982 or thereabouts. Runs extremely well on DC, except across the aforementioned insulated turnouts.

Andrew

Maybe a trailer to lug behind it for "freight" (and a decoder with added power pickups)?

Might be an option?

Re: Favorite HO Models - nkp_174 - 12-16-2008

shaygetz Wrote:Nice models and model work, folks.

My favorite models are AHM/Rivarossi steam, especially their big articulateds, of which I have 3 in HO...
4-8-8-4 UP "Big Boy"...
4-8-8-2 Espee "Cab-forward"...
2-8-8-2 N&W Y6b "Mallet"...

I'd love to see replacement drivers for Rivarossi locomotives. I dislike the 65" drivers under my NKP Berk...but I love that locomotive...one of the 90s models with a sagami. I also dislike the pizza cutter flanges on my old Dreyfuss hudson...especially when it bounces through code 83 turnouts...but I sure love that locomotive...good memories. Eventually she'll get repowered. Detail-wise, I still think they are acceptably detailed when sitting along side brass and new die-cast...not bad for 30+yr old tooling.

Are any of those locomotives ones that you've customized? I think recall a piece on you fixing up that big boy on either your website or somewhere...is that correct?

My favorite Diesels, couldn't pick just one, lol

If I *had* to pick just ONE, I think I would pick the UP 3552. I have a thing for UP SD40-2's, in the late 1970's/early 1980's scheme as they ran a LOT on the WP right before merger time in December of 1982. That brings my UP SD40-2 fleet to 4 currently, (my favorite locomotives of all time). The CCT70 model is something I have always wanted a model of it, and a friend of mine built one for me a few years ago. I need to replace the steps with see through brass ones as this one took a dive off a layout bridge. The WP U30 is a model of a unit we have at the museum in Portola, and when I saw it and 2 sisters all painted and detailed on Ebay, I couldn't resist. I know they're "fat body" Athearns, but I like them. They're all re-powered with Mashima can motors and NWSL Nickle silver wheels, and detailed out.

My favorite steamer. I have a thing for Old West era steam, and while I really don't model that time era, I do have a bunch of late 19th century models, and picked this one up from a late museum member. It's a little brass engine and was a basket case when I got it, but I tinkered with it, and got it running like a champ. You'd be AMAZED at how many cars this tiny little guy will pull. About a dozen.

Tom Wrote:Maybe a trailer to lug behind it for "freight" (and a decoder with added power pickups)?

Might be an option?

Yeah, it's an option, but not one I prefer. I'd rather not permanently tether it to something. I am thinking that I can squeeze stuff into the baggage compartment, and maybe on the ceiling (z scale decoder??). I could also try adding pickups o the front four-wheel truck, but those wheels are tiny...!

Andrew

How large are those wheels on the front? Z Scale size, N Scale size?

Re: Favorite HO Models - nkp_174 - 12-17-2008

Tom Wrote:My favorite steamer. I have a thing for Old West era steam, and while I really don't model that time era, I do have a bunch of late 19th century models, and picked this one up from a late museum member. It's a little brass engine and was a basket case when I got it, but I tinkered with it, and got it running like a champ. You'd be AMAZED at how many cars this tiny little guy will pull. About a dozen.

Tom, that is a pretty sweet little engine.

Re: Favorite HO Models - Dave Harris sctchbld - 12-19-2008

Trucklover Wrote:Shaygetz, man that first pic, i swear i thought it was REAL Eek had to take a second look at it, thats impressive!! Thumbsup Thumbsup

You mean it's NOT Real?? Had Me fooled!! :?
The ONLY giveaway is the &%***## oversized Riverossi flanges on the pilot. Nope

Re: Favorite HO Models - Russ Bellinis - 12-20-2008

MasonJar Wrote:
Russ Bellinis Wrote:Andrew, I haven't figured out how to quote a post yet so I'm just responding to your quest to put a decoder in your rail bus. I have a P2k sw7 that needed a decoder, but had very little space available. I didn't want the decoder to be visible in the cab, so I found an n-scale decoder that was small enough to fit in a small space created with a false roof in the cab. Looking at the pic if a small decoder won't fit under the hood, I'm wondering if it would fit under the floor boards below the driver's feet? You might have to amputate the lpb's feet to put in a raised floor board to give enough clearance for the decoder. If you want sound, you could probably locate the speaker in the baggage compartment in back. I'm presuming that the model is powered by the front truck with the motor being under the hood. If the model is actually powered by a motor in the baggage compartment driving the back wheel, then it might have room for a small decoder under the hood. For a speaker, if there isn't room in the baggage compartment, you might be able to raise the floor in the passenger compartment and amputate legs of lpb's to allow it to be mounted there.

Thanks Russ...

To quote, click the "Quote button which should appear in the upper right of each post. We do not have the multi-quote in place yet, but the single one should at least work. If you're not seeing it, please let me know.

Thanks for the suggestions. A bit more about the interior of the bus might help and maybe you have more suggestions...!?

The baggage compartment (at the back) is available, but is only about 1 cubic inch. Under the hood is even smaller, and the space there is not contiguous with the interior of the bus. The interior is full (seats, and a couple of passengers & driver who are already double amputees). The motor is below the floor. The other challenge (if that's not enough) is that the pickups are only from the rear wheels, and they are placed so they go almost direrctly to the motor. It would be very hard to isolate the motor. I'll try to get some more pictures up so you can see what we're looking at. Because of the limited pickups, it stalls at every insulated turnout, and would need a capacitor to keep the decoder from resetting all the time.

Thanks!

Andrew

Interesting, this is the third time I've tried to reply with a quote. Th first two times the "enter" key, "space bar" and "backspace" wouldn't work. I started a post in the telegraph office, but before posting it I decided to go ahead and post this with the problems, and then reference this post to illustrate my problem. Naturally it is working now! Oh well, I don't need to post the problem now.

Anyway, Andrew, the decoder I used in the P2k Sw7 is an M1, I don't remember the manufacturer. If I remember correctly it is about 3/8 to 1/2 inch square and about 1/4 inch thick. With that information, you might see a good place to put the decoder.

Also, with regard to your electrical pick up problems, could the front truck be used for pick up? I'm thinking you could solder a couple of wires to either side of the front truck, and then tuck them up under the body back to the rear wheel area where you could drill a small hole in the floor to pass them through to tie into the wires from the rear wheel.