Discolored plastic- reaction to paint remover - Printable Version

+- (https://bigbluetrains.com)
+-- Forum: Mainline (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+--- Forum: HO Modeling (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=21)
+--- Thread: Discolored plastic- reaction to paint remover (/showthread.php?tid=249)

Discolored plastic- reaction to paint remover - Freelancer - 12-18-2008

After acquiring a work train that had been heavily painted with an aerosol can, I decided I would try my hand at painting and decaling some rolling stock. I tried to remove the thick coat of paint with 91% alcohol, but after quite a few hours of soaking, it was barely showing any progress at removing the paint. So I tested a bit of paint remover on the presoaked car and had great results, with no damage to the plastic. However Confusedhock: much to my dismay, when I put another car in that hadn't been presoaked, it took a bit more time in the thinner to remove the paint and I ended up melting the plastic. Fortunately only one car really took the damage, but the other cars now have a whitish discoloration on them. My question is this; can I continue on with the project and start painting, or do I need to take some further steps into trying to repair this?

Re: Discolored plastic- reaction to paint remover - Green_Elite_Cab - 12-18-2008

If its discolored, paint over it it. that lookes like pretty good weathering. I'd only worry about replacing essential details if they cannot be fixed!

Re: Discolored plastic- reaction to paint remover - doctorwayne - 12-19-2008

After you use any kind of paint remover, it's a good idea to wash the item before repainting it, as some chemicals will continue to "work", even as a residue. Dish detergent and warm water is usually all that's required, followed by a good rinse. Some may require a bit of scrubbing with a suitable brush. Even new models, either unpainted or with factory-applied paint that you wish to over-paint will benefit from such washing, as it removes mould-release agents and oils and dirt from handling.

Wayne

Re: Discolored plastic- reaction to paint remover - nachoman - 12-19-2008

I will agree with Wayne here about the detergent/water bath. Usually, after I strip factory paint off of something, I get the same residue. I don't know what it is, but I suspect it is the effect the factory paint had on the plastic. In other words it is a demonstration on how such paint grips the plastic - by etching it slightly. I have painted over plastic like this with no ill effects whatsoever using both acrylic and floquil paints.

Re: Discolored plastic- reaction to paint remover - LynnB - 12-19-2008

Looks good the way it came out.

Re: Discolored plastic- reaction to paint remover - eightyeightfan1 - 12-19-2008

I'm with GEC and Lynn....Leave it.
Looks good as it is.

Re: Discolored plastic- reaction to paint remover - Freelancer - 12-20-2008

Quote:If its discolored, paint over it it.
Quote:I have painted over plastic like this with no ill effects whatsoever using both acrylic and floquil paints.

Haha good, that is what I was hoping to hear, but wanted to make sure first.

Quote:... as some chemicals will continue to "work", even as a residue.
That is one thing that I was most concerned about, if it would continue eating away at the plastic after painting. I will definitely give 'em another quick wash down.

I would leave them, but I am pretty set on painting them. I have the paint and decals ready. I should have taken pictures of them midway through the process as they looked pretty cool when the first coat of paint was coming off and you could see a slight ghosting of the original roadname. If I wasn't so set on getting them decorated, then it would have been cool to leave them like that.