Discolored plastic- reaction to paint remover
After acquiring a work train that had been heavily painted with an aerosol can, I decided I would try my hand at painting and decaling some rolling stock. I tried to remove the thick coat of paint with 91% alcohol, but after quite a few hours of soaking, it was barely showing any progress at removing the paint. So I tested a bit of paint remover on the presoaked car and had great results, with no damage to the plastic. However Confusedhock: much to my dismay, when I put another car in that hadn't been presoaked, it took a bit more time in the thinner to remove the paint and I ended up melting the plastic. Fortunately only one car really took the damage, but the other cars now have a whitish discoloration on them. My question is this; can I continue on with the project and start painting, or do I need to take some further steps into trying to repair this?

Attached Files Image(s)

If its discolored, paint over it it. that lookes like pretty good weathering. I'd only worry about replacing essential details if they cannot be fixed!
Modeling New Jersey Under the Wire 1978-1979.  
[Image: logosmall.png]
After you use any kind of paint remover, it's a good idea to wash the item before repainting it, as some chemicals will continue to "work", even as a residue. Dish detergent and warm water is usually all that's required, followed by a good rinse. Some may require a bit of scrubbing with a suitable brush. Even new models, either unpainted or with factory-applied paint that you wish to over-paint will benefit from such washing, as it removes mould-release agents and oils and dirt from handling.

Wayne
I will agree with Wayne here about the detergent/water bath. Usually, after I strip factory paint off of something, I get the same residue. I don't know what it is, but I suspect it is the effect the factory paint had on the plastic. In other words it is a demonstration on how such paint grips the plastic - by etching it slightly. I have painted over plastic like this with no ill effects whatsoever using both acrylic and floquil paints.
--
Kevin
Check out my Shapeways creations!
3-d printed items in HO/HOn3 and more!
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s-model-train-detail-parts">https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s ... tail-parts</a><!-- m -->
Looks good the way it came out.
Lynn

New Adventure <!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://bigbluetrains.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=9245">viewtopic.php?f=46&t=9245</a><!-- l -->

Great White North
Ontario,Canada
I'm with GEC and Lynn....Leave it.
Looks good as it is.
Torrington, Ct.
NARA Member #87
I went to my Happy Place, but it was closed for renovations.
Quote:If its discolored, paint over it it.
Quote:I have painted over plastic like this with no ill effects whatsoever using both acrylic and floquil paints.

Haha good, that is what I was hoping to hear, but wanted to make sure first.

Quote:... as some chemicals will continue to "work", even as a residue.
That is one thing that I was most concerned about, if it would continue eating away at the plastic after painting. I will definitely give 'em another quick wash down.

I would leave them, but I am pretty set on painting them. I have the paint and decals ready. I should have taken pictures of them midway through the process as they looked pretty cool when the first coat of paint was coming off and you could see a slight ghosting of the original roadname. If I wasn't so set on getting them decorated, then it would have been cool to leave them like that.