Start of a kit-bash project - Printable Version

+- (https://bigbluetrains.com)
+-- Forum: Branchline (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=45)
+--- Forum: Scratchbuilding and kitbashing - All Scales (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+--- Thread: Start of a kit-bash project (/showthread.php?tid=2824)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

Re: Start of a kit-bash project - AF350 - 08-21-2013

List of Model railroading projects status:

1. On30 box cars (completed) Qty. 5
2. On30 stock cars (in progress) Qty. 5
3. On30 scratch built stock car(needs a truck replaced oops) Qty. 1
4. On30 scratch built stock cars (design phase) Qty. ???
5. On30 flat cars (in progress) Qty. 5
6. On30 tenders (in progress) Qty. 5
7. On30 loco boilers(in progress) Qty. 5
8. On30 wheel car(in progress) Qty. 1
9. On30 cabeese(gave up on this one)
10. S scale/gauge stock cars(One complete, one partialy built and a ton of parts cast to be assembled at some time in the future)
11. S gauge 40' box car kits(in progress) Qty. 4 fifth kit is currently being used as a master to mold from to be used in kitbashing later on
12. 3D printing of some S gauge rolling stock(still in development stage)
13. O scale model of Ruby Belle tow boat(in progress)
14. Scanning train magazine articles of interest to PDF files on USB thumb drives(on going progress)

Re: Start of a kit-bash project - AF350 - 09-13-2013

I went and done it again, I bought 2 cheap cheesie B.O. train set because I liked the look of the steam loco with the intent of kitbashing it to On30. The loco is the only part of the set that I can use It may run on HO/On30 track with little modifacation. At $8.95 per set it kinda high and the cars are very much of little use the caboose is very tiny. the loco has built in sound(jingle bells) the sound portion will be gutted cab and boiler repainted.

Will complete(as much as posible) the original kitbash before starting this one in its own thread.

Re: Start of a kit-bash project - AF350 - 12-01-2013

well here is where my project(s) stand at moment:

10. S scale/gauge stock cars(One complete, one partialy built and a ton of parts cast to be assembled at some time in the future)
11. S gauge 40' box car kits(in progress) Qty. 4 fifth kit is currently being used as a master to mold from to be used in kitbashing later on
14. Scanning train magazine articles of interest to PDF files on USB thumb drives(on going progress)
15. 2nd On30 loco bash
16. Some Trek and other Sci-Fi models waiting their turn on the bench.
17. 95% of an electronics formula calculator/study guide/hobbyist software completed(may try to do a scale conversion type program as well.

Re: Start of a kit-bash project - AF350 - 12-01-2013

well here is where my project(s) stand at moment:

15. 2nd On30 loco bash
17. 95% of an electronics formula calculator/study guide/hobbyist software completed(may try to do a scale conversion type program as well.

Re: Start of a kit-bash project - AF350 - 01-15-2014

well here is where my project(s) stand at moment: 1/15/2014

11. S gauge 40' box car kits(in progress) Qty. 4 fifth kit is currently being used as a master to mold from to be used in kitbashing later on: UPDATE 2 boxcars painted waiting to be trucked and couplers added and lettered(one for the Gauge and one for BFT)
15. 2nd On30 loco bash
17.100% of an electronics formula calculator/study guide/hobbyist software completed(may try to do a scale conversion type program as well. Yeah :bounce1:

Re: Start of a kit-bash project - AF350 - 02-26-2014

Hello all,

The list of incomplete stuff is pretty much the same but Left out one project ( a scratch built dump car activated by horn button one in S and one O gauge) Just need to get some parts from Lionel to complete the electronical portion of the build based on an article from a train magazine can not remember if it was OGR or CTT. hope to get back to scratching and bashing trains soon.

AF350 Wrote:well here is where my project(s) stand at moment: 1/15/2014

11. S gauge 40' box car kits(in progress) Qty. 4 fifth kit is currently being used as a master to mold from to be used in kitbashing later on: UPDATE 2 boxcars painted waiting to be trucked and couplers added and lettered(one for the Gauge and one for BFT)
15. 2nd On30 loco bash
17.100% of an electronics formula calculator/study guide/hobbyist software completed(may try to do a scale conversion type program as well. Yeah :bounce1:

Re: Start of a kit-bash project - ERIE RR - 02-27-2014

Would love to see the full project finished including locomotives with accompanying photo's.

ERIE. RR

Re: Start of a kit-bash project - AF350 - 02-27-2014

Hope to get back at it soon, need warm weather to paint up some stuff outside. Still trying to decide what to do for running gear for the first On30 loco bash(I am leaning towards a junker ho 0-6-0 chassis. should be easy to come by I have an 0-6-0 saddle tank loco from an old kit that may just do the trick but will look for some more later on as well). Once I get some progress made will post a photo or two. Before I was employed again I started a lot of projects while one was drying paint or glue, I was working on something else now work area is cluttered and needs some clean up so I can work at no more than 2 projects at a time 35

I think I will investigate the 0-6-0 chassis in the morning, if that works out will scratch build a decent cab for the loco.

As a side note the original cabs are funny looking but when placed front to front together they look like some sort of odd diesel or electric critter loco so just about every thing in those sets will be recycled into something neat except the track, original wheels and trucks, and maybe the cabooses which are too small for even On30 they may make neat HO cabooses but I am trying to stick to S and O both 3-rail and On30.

Re: Start of a kit-bash project - AF350 - 05-05-2014

Small update I looked at the old 0-6-0 and I think that will do the trick so at least one loco will be kit-bashed using this Roundhouse kit power chassis Smile Will start going to some local hobby shops to find some more kit-bashing candidates/basket case loco's to fill out the On30 roster. I need to repair/replace a truck on my scratch built stock car, may just dull coat one of the toy sets stock cars to see if that works if not repaint they will get and new trucks and couplers. Will also get some trucks for the flats that I have started up on. I am hope to be done with this original On30 kit-bash project by July/August at the latest, Then there is the other set that will likely be kit-bashed as well. Also have some other projects I need to complete as well.

Re: Start of a kit-bash project - AF350 - 05-16-2014

Well I got a bunch of trucks and wheel sets yesterday and today from Grandt line and Kadee so the On30 bashing will start up again soon 2285_ Starting with the flats and tenders, followed by the original stock cars and the locos I will save for last. My Bachmann 2-6-0 pulled some of the box cars around a small loop of track on the floor, the couplers on the loco and the cars just barely connect due to the height difference from Bachmann equipment and the NMRA On30 coupler height gauge I will have to make a transition car at some point, an issue I will try to correct once the loco bash starts.

As for other projects they will start and complete in no set order.

I have a bundle of Peco On30 track, will be buying some more later on to add to my layout at some point, will more than likely put down a couple sections on a board and ballast and scenic as a photo/diorama to show off the rolling stock, I have a diorama started for S gauge(my first attempt to ballast some track) great for learning before doing any work on the layout Icon_lol

Progress pics to follow soon.

Re: Start of a kit-bash project - AF350 - 05-24-2014

I have to work Sunday 1st shift and then again on Friday. In the middle of the week I will start trucking some of the flats from the On30 bash project. I will also start on a diorama with some On30 track so I can show off the rolling stock with a bit of scenery. I have one started for S gauge just need to spruce it up with some ground cover and some cinders here and there.

Will have some pics soon of progress......stay tuned Smile

Re: Start of a kit-bash project - AF350 - 05-25-2014

I started on the On30 diorama, put down some cork road bed on a scrap of plywood, will put down the track after work today and maybe start on the On30 flats and other parts of the On30 bash. Pics this evening will be posted.

Re: Start of a kit-bash project - AF350 - 05-27-2014

Well yesterday started to ballast 2 sections of On30 track, then ran out of supplies Sad will have to get some more ballast. The good news is that I am working on the On30 bashing today after I clean up a work spot to work in Icon_lol will post a pic of mess and then some progress pics by this evening. I had to take my father to an appointment and then to the local barbershop this morning so I am up and awake so no excuses for not modeling Wink .

Well bas promised here are the progress pics on the On30 bashing project 2285_ 2285_ 2285_

First up the mess that needed cleaned up Icon_lol

And now some test shots of loco body transplant