Start of a kit-bash project
Here are the beginning of a couple kit bash projects, note these are blatant TOY trains and I will attempt to convert them to On30 for the stock car and maybe S standard gauge for the box car I have a lot of each to experiment with Icon_lol

There's a silk purse in there somewhere...but I'm having trouble seeing it, myself. Here's to vision!

Galen
I may not be a rivet counter, but I sure do like rivets!
ocalicreek Wrote:There's a silk purse in there somewhere...but I'm having trouble seeing it, myself. Here's to vision!

Galen

The stock car would be easy:
step 1. trash the original trucks as they do not match any gauge of track and The wheels have
super large flanges.

step 2. modify the bolsters as they are too tall.

step 3. a good layer of dull coat to take away the plastic shine and a good weathering job.

step 4. Replace the door/ramp with a more prototypical looking door.

Now the Box car will be more of a challenge as it is about the right width and height as some older S gauge stuff but a bit short length wise. It too may be better off as an On30 conversion,I guess we will soon see Icon_lol
I'm starting to worry about my vision! ... and I'm a bit confused, too! :?

I've cleaned my glasses several times. I've gone out to the kitchen and looked at the calendar on the wall .. yep, it's 20JUN10 ... it's not the first of April.

So I've gotta ask ... where are you hiding this boxcar?

I think I need to lay off the iced tea for a couple days and dry out! I'm starting to not see things! Confusedhock: Wink
biL

Lehigh Susquehanna & Western 

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." ~~Abraham Lincoln
P5se Camelback Wrote:I'm starting to worry about my vision! ... and I'm a bit confused, too! :?

I've cleaned my glasses several times. I've gone out to the kitchen and looked at the calendar on the wall .. yep, it's 20JUN10 ... it's not the first of April.

So I've gotta ask ... where are you hiding this boxcar?

I think I need to lay off the iced tea for a couple days and dry out! I'm starting to not see things! Confusedhock: Wink

Sorry have a new camera have to shrink down the pics Icon_lol is this better???

What weird looking cars. Are these from one of those battery powered toy trains with the plastic track?
--
Kevin
Check out my Shapeways creations!
3-d printed items in HO/HOn3 and more!
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s-model-train-detail-parts">https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s ... tail-parts</a><!-- m -->
AHA! What I wasn't seeing through my dandruff-specked, finger smudged glasses lenses was the "slide-it-over-to-the-right, Dummy" bar at the bottom of the photo ... 35 35 35

I was thinking maybe this was another "inside joke" like when I asked what the joke was that I was missing in all of the references to GERN Industries, Ltd. a few months back, and was told THAT WAS the joke! 357 357 357

All is fine now ... I can sit back and view the screen from a normal distance and not have my nose making smudge marks on the screen while I hunt for somethig referenced in the text that I can't find in the visual! Wink Big Grin 357
You may now resume ... I'm paying attention and not preoccupied by constantly going back to look for the boxcar! 35 Wallbang Icon_lol
biL

Lehigh Susquehanna & Western 

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." ~~Abraham Lincoln
nachoman Wrote:What weird looking cars. Are these from one of those battery powered toy trains with the plastic track?

Yup not sure who made them , set came with a cardboard backdrop with tunnel in it. One side is a european city scene the other side is jungle and the stock cars came with lion figures close to O scale Icon_lol .

I have a side collection of "plastic plate" Battery op sets most will run run on O track and a few are G gauge, these cars are odd balls and do not match any conventional gauge of track.
both look like 0n30 to me , awating the results.
jim
Well, the conversion of the trucks went well, I put sandy river trucks On30 from grandt line on to one of the stock car with minor alteration to both the under carriage and the trucks, next one to be converted will only have the uder carriage altered. Found that the stock car and box car have the same bottom assembly Big Grin make working on them easy 2285_ Pics to follow soon.

Next step will be to mount couplers and then weather the car and replacement door(still in the designing stage at moment). Thumbsup
Well here are some pics of the weird stock car and an unmodified box car

HI all,

Will look threw scrap box to see what I have to build that new/better door with, worst case will have to go and get what I need which will be a slight delay, in either case will update and post some more pics as soon as possible.
Hi all it has been a long delay on this project, but made some progress on the Boxcar.

I had just a little bit of red oxide primer left over form a non train project and did an experiment I painted up one of those plastic plate boxcars looks more believable than the shiny blue plastic. Pics to follow soon. Icon_lol Still undecided on what to do with the stock cars may just dull coat them and switch out the trucks( involves minor surgery to under side of cars).
As promised here are a couple pics of a repainted boxcar next to an unaltered car.

Those cars are looking sweet.... Thumbsup
Let's see some more....
Gus (LC&P).