E-paw's EOY challenge. - Printable Version

+- (https://bigbluetrains.com)
+-- Forum: Photographer's right of way (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+--- Forum: Contests & Challenges (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Thread: E-paw's EOY challenge. (/showthread.php?tid=3350)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

E-paw's EOY challenge. - e-paw - 11-17-2010

In order to help hide the worm gear I cut up a plastic suspension detail part. I have no idea where it came from. None of my prototype pics show them, but, I'm sure that they were there.    

Here is one set installed. I'll do the other side tomorrow.    

Re: E-paw's EOY challenge. - tomustang - 11-17-2010

What gear? Icon_lol

Re: E-paw's EOY challenge. - mountaingoatgreg - 11-17-2010

Wow, you are having way to much fun...

I really should learn more about Steam engines...but I have to much going on as it is. Keep up the great work and educate us non steam heads!!!

Re: E-paw's EOY challenge. - tomustang - 11-17-2010

mountaingoatgreg Wrote:I really should learn more about Steam engines

Don't!

I tried and it got more confusing...

Re: E-paw's EOY challenge. - Steamtrains - 11-17-2010

MGG wrote:

Don't!
I tried and it got more confusing...

Kurt Vonnegut put it this way..."How God must have laughed when he saw how man had contrived to combine iron, fire, and water to come up with a train..."
Goldth

The interior of those cabs must have been very tight places...

Re: E-paw's EOY challenge. - rrinker - 11-17-2010

What's to learn? Coal, Oil, or wood make fire. Fire hot. Fire boils water. Boiled water = steam. Steam pushes piston. Piston makes wheel go around.

See, simple! 35 35 Icon_lol Icon_lol Icon_lol 35 35

--Randy

Re: E-paw's EOY challenge. - Sumpter250 - 11-18-2010

e-paw Wrote:[ATTACHMENT NOT FOUND]While I was painting I realised that I forgot a pipe an the fireman's side. I don't know it's purpose, but the prototype pics show it running from under the boiler (starting at the valve gear hanger) and going back the the rear of the engine disappearing at the end of the fire box. I bent some rod, painted it , and glued it in place.[ATTACHMENT NOT FOUND]

With the pipe in place I took this shot. It gives you a better look at the flywheel mounted on the back of the motor.[ATTACHMENT NOT FOUND]

That pipe is probably the water feed, from the tender to the "Fireman's" injector. I would suspect that there was a waterglass on both sides of the boiler so engineer and fireman could keep an eye on water levels. Those camelbacks had to be a real pain to operate safely.......and not a lot of fun for the fireman

Re: E-paw's EOY challenge. - e-paw - 11-18-2010

Quote:That pipe is probably the water feed, from the tender to the "Fireman's" injector.

It might be, I don't know if there was a sight glass in the brakeman's cab. The fireman had one on the rear platform. As you can see it's a hefty pipe that's unlagged.

In this photo it definitely is a tender feed. It is run a little differently on this engine than on #454. <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.northeast.railfan.net/images/cnj434s.jpg">http://www.northeast.railfan.net/images/cnj434s.jpg</a><!-- m -->

Re: E-paw's EOY challenge. - e-paw - 11-22-2010

Lets make some Clum OK , today I wanted to get started on the coal load. By the mid 40's , the time that I model, these CNJ camelbacks were getting pushed aside by the new fangled diesels.The Baldwin built RS-12's and Dr4-4-1500 Baby face units had taken over most of K-1's assignments. If it hadn't been for the war time boost in traffic the 4-8-0's would have fond themselves on the dead line at Elizabeth port. At this time the CNJ stopped using straight Anthracite or an anthracite/soft coal mix in favor of what is called Clum. Clum is an unwashed or screened form of anthracite, it's pretty much is straight from the mine. The larger pieces of coal would be removed and the rest ( containing rock and dirt ) was sent right into the firebox. sort of a "run of mine" stile of coal that was a cost saving fuel that some how burned without a loss in steam pressure. Just another testament to the Wooten fire box.

In order to make this I started with some dirt, dug up, screened, cooked, and cleared with a magnet. That was then mixed with some fine " Blue Coal " anthracite from the Hubber Breaker in Ashley P.A.( a CNJ served Breaker Thumbsup ).    

I also mixed in some Fine coal from the St. Nicholas breaker in Mahanoy City P.A. This is the more common "black" shinny anthracite.It is darker than it came out in this shot, my kitchen lighting is far from the best for photography, but you get the idea of what I'm trying for.    

E-paw's EOY challenge. - e-paw - 11-26-2010

I have started the weathering processes on this engine. For something like this I start with my airbrush. I applied thin coats of grimy black, browns. tans , and other rust colors to simulate rust, grime, sand, and break-dust on the model. As you can see I think I got a little too boisterous on one part of the tender with the sand and break-dust stains. I'll fix that latter. once this dries fully I'll add washes with a brush to the engine to bring out details. Here's a few pics of the first stage of weathering.

Re: E-paw's EOY challenge. - Gary S - 11-26-2010

The airbrush can work wonders, the start on the weathering looks good E-paw. So on the camelbacks, a guy rode on the tender and shoveled coal into the firebox?

That's right Gary. It was common to have two Fireman on a Camel, On longer trains a head end brakeman road on the outher side of the main cab.

While the airbrushing hardens up I put in the coal load. I added some Squadron putty to the foam block that I gave a rough shape to years ago, Thumbsup just to touch up the edges Thumbsup . This was given a coat of cheap craft paint, Black of course.    

While it was still wet I sprinkled on my coal mix and covered it with a thin mix of white glue and water with a drop of dish detergent in it to break the surface tension. Another coat of the coal mix was added on top of that. When it all dries I'll simply flip it over to remove all the loose coal.    

Toptrain sent me some pics of camel backs that had broken side rods or bearings to show the dangers of the center cab location. Luckily this was a very rare problem.
First off is an D&H loco that had the entire engineers side of the cab torn open when the running gear gave out at speed.    

Here is the CNJ camel that I was talking about earlier. She was on lone to the Reading at the time of the accident.    
Although the CNJ Atlantic fared better, I would have to say that it is unlikely that the engineer survived in either case.

Re: E-paw's EOY challenge. - P5se Camelback - 11-26-2010

One can only imaging the resulting violence when a rod comes off an 86" or a 92" driver at 80 or 85mph! I can remember standing next to Reading Atlantic one day as I stood on the platform at the Logan station, where I often stopped for a little train watching on my walk home after a day of fifth grade classes at Logan Demonstration School in North Philadelphia. I can remember looking up at those wheels and thinking, "Boy ... those wheels are VERY tall!" At the time I think I was barely much taller than the axle centerline!

Those tall wheels made the Reading's "P" Class locomotives real speedsters. At one point in the 1890's, the fastest scheduled train in the world was pulled by a Reading "P" Class Atlantic from Philadelphia to Atlantic City ... in 55 minutes! You can't drive that trip today, driving straight through, down the Atlantic City Expressway with a 70 mph speed limit, in under an hour and fifteen minutes ... and the train made station stops!

But along with the great speed came the danger of the occasional results of the turmoil and destruction pictured above.

Yeah, yeah ... but I still have a thing for them anyway! Wink Thumbsup

EDIT: BTW ... both of those locomotives were "High-Stepping" Atlantics!

Re: E-paw's EOY challenge. - Gary S - 11-26-2010

It is hard to imagine those camelbacks doing more than 30 mph! I always thought they were just used for yard duty.