E-paw's EOY challenge.
For this challenge I going to submit my CNJ K-1as that I started about 8 years ago. Nope I hope that this is the excuse that I need to get it finished. It may look pretty much complete but there are a bunch of things that deserve attention. - I started on the cab interior but never finished it.- The coal load was never completed. - An engine crew would be nice...The front headlight needs attention.- window glazing. - Paint. - Weathering. The list goes on and on...

Here is a link to an old thread that I started on the subject That kind of petered out. <!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://www.the-gauge.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1905">viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1905</a><!-- l -->
 My other car is a locomotive, ARHS restoration crew  
here's a pic of the cab interior that I took of the CNJ 4-4-2 camel back in Baltimore. I will use it as a guide for my interior. The two locomotives were built at the same time, by the same builder. The only difference is that The Atlantic was built for high speed passenger service and the Chunker was a drag freighter. I have not been able to find and pics of 454's interior it will have to do.[Image: vacation2008143.jpg] As you can see there is zero room for the engineer, he was literally part of the machine...
Such was the cramped plight of the engineer on a camelback! But better on the freight drag than on the High-Drivered Atlantic speedsters, which would, on occasion, lose a kingpin and send the main rod right up though the cab, cutting a four-to-six inch swath, and taking a large portion of the engineer with it! Occupational hazard, and from what I have come to understand, was one of the reasons for their falling out of favor and eventual extinction.
biL

Lehigh Susquehanna & Western 

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." ~~Abraham Lincoln
I hear that was called, "wiping the clock"...could it be the origin of the phrase 'got his clock cleaned' or simply 'clocked'?

Galen
I may not be a rivet counter, but I sure do like rivets!
Wiping the clock is the right name for it, it was very rare. IN fact it only happened once to a CNJ loco, at the time is was on lone to the reading, and the engineer survived without injury. I remember seeing a pic of it in one of my dads books. I'll try to locate it when I'm there on thanksgiving.
I started on the cab interior today. The first pic is where I left off A few years back. Most of this will be covered by the engineer so I'm not looking for an exact copy of the controllers, just some basic shapes, pipes and gauges. I am going to try to make it seem like there is more in there than there really is.    

I started soldering up some brass wire and tube to make up a few parts of the interior. I used my photos of the Atlantic as a guide. compared to a standard end cad ,a camelback cab is a confusing , cramped place. I can figure out what most of the items are but some I'm not sure about..    

It's not a bad start, I still need to make a throttle and Johnson bar for it . Here's a shot of where It's at now with, and with out the cab installed.    

Attached Files Image(s)

I like it! Great job scratchbuilding the detail parts. Thumbsup
Three Foot Rule In Effect At All Times
In the kitbashing world, I'd call those great looking GNDN's. Pipes that 'Go Nowhere & Do Nothing', but sure look like they go somewhere and do something important!

Great progress!

Galen
I may not be a rivet counter, but I sure do like rivets!
That is pretty cool! Thumbsup
I had a busy week but I did manage to get some work finished on the cab interior.

First off I built the Johnson bar out of some brass wire. I then used some CA to attach it to the inside of the cab wall. I did this so that the cab could be removed easier.It was better to do that than stick it to the floor like the prototype because of clearance issues.    

Next I built the Throttle from some more brass shapes and soldered to the side of the boiler.    

With the cab reinstalled I took another shot of the finished product. Looks like I have to straighten out the throttle guides a little. Nope    
Moving on to the Brakeman's side "remember it a Camel back not an end cab". The only visible detail is are two sets of pipes " one being lagged" and a valve handle. I built these the same way as the other parts, the only addition is the lagging. This was made with a strip of masking tape wrapped around it.

It was then glued in place with some CA.

I put the cab back on for another shot.    
Very cool stuff E-paw. How do you like bending and shaping and soldering all the itty bitty brass pieces?
Three Foot Rule In Effect At All Times
e-paw your GNDNs looks great!
I studied your pictures with great attention how you make it. On my workbench is an old PFM 0-6-0 Omaha switcher with reworked running gear and remotored with a much smaller coreless coil motor. No boiler backhead and no cab floor => to do. In this case the interior will be full visible so i have to detail it.
Such detailing parts are hard to get in Germany, so it is the fastest way to build them yourself.
I enjoyed to see you converting simply brass wire and plastic pieces to armatures which looks right.

Lutz
Schraddel I had no other choice other than to scratch build the interior parts. At this time " NO " manufacturers offer cab interior parts for camelbacks Nope .
I have been hard at work on the model, More that's been done in years Thumbsup . This challenge has got me off my duff, or back on it and motivated me to finally finish the K-1.

I brush painted the running gear along with the motor with some Engine black.When it's time to weather it, the rods will take on a more prototypical appearance and the blacked out motor will be less noticable..     While I was painting I realised that I forgot a pipe an the fireman's side. I don't know it's purpose, but the prototype pics show it running from under the boiler (starting at the valve gear hanger) and going back the the rear of the engine disappearing at the end of the fire box. I bent some rod, painted it , and glued it in place.    

With the pipe in place I took this shot. It gives you a better look at the flywheel mounted on the back of the motor.    
I also painted the interiors.