new project - Printable Version

+- (https://bigbluetrains.com)
+-- Forum: Mainline (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+--- Forum: HO Modeling (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=21)
+--- Thread: new project (/showthread.php?tid=370)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31

Re: new project - Herc Driver - 01-28-2010

Wow - what a great build! Really nice job.

new project - e-paw - 01-31-2010

Over the past few days I've been removing all the old glue and truing up all the parts. This is an idea of what they look like.    

There's a lot of windows.    

new project - e-paw - 01-31-2010

Some of the doors have broken hinges, they will have to be repaired or new ones fabricated.    

As for the rear walls, I'm going to use the same technique as I did on the coaling dock so they appear like poured concrete. This look gives you a before & after view. One down, eleven more to go. I'll add some brick accents latter.     That red powder off to the right is all the dust from removing the brick detail from one wall.

new project - e-paw - 02-03-2010

I finished removing the "brick work" from the rear walls. I had to make some repairs where the walls were damaged either from me taking apart the old structures or from the person that built it originally.    

To add some character to the rather blank walls I scribed in some cracks with a dental tool.        

The next steep will be to install them on the foundation, add the brick columns, and window details.

new project - e-paw - 02-03-2010

With most of the rear walls installed it's time to call it a night and let the glue set.        

new project - e-paw - 02-06-2010

I have cut and installed new window sills on the rear wall. The brick columns are from some old styrene sheets that I had, they hide the seams nicely. I will also add a strip of styrene over the windows, I don't know what this detail is called but I've seen it on many brick and concrete buildings.    

I also installed the front walls, adding some bracing, cut from old sprues. This gives it some added strength.    

Here's an over view of the roundhouse as it is now, I still need to pick up the last 3 stalls.    

new project - e-paw - 02-13-2010

While I wait for the 3 other stalls to come in I spent the afternoon installing the fan tracks. At this point 7 of the 12 are in (the other round house will get 3 also)     You can see I realy squeezed in the roundhouse, the back wall comes right to the edge of the layout.     I put some of my heaviest motive power on the fan tracks to provide weight as the glue dries.

Re: new project - Steamtrains - 02-13-2010

WoW...You've got quite a stable of "horses"....That roundhouse is looking good...Quite a project you've got going here. Look forward to seeing your progress. Thumbsup

Is that a Walthers TT..?? How does it work..??

new project - e-paw - 02-14-2010

Thanks Steamtrains, That's a Walthers 130 footer. It indexes well and programs easily. The controller had a factory defect in it that caused it to burn up, but it was warrantied by Walthers and replaced by them at no cost. Any one that installs one should wire in a fuse after the power supply. so that the fuse blows before any other damage is caused.

new project - e-paw - 04-07-2010

Now that the spring challenge is over and my parts have come in from trucklover,(thanks josh) I can resume work on the round house. The new stalls bring the grand total to 12. I've added the same bracing as before and a 2nd extension. One of the used kits were missing the internal trusses. I'll have to make one, that might be the next job to tackle.            
This structure takes up a large part of the dining room table, I got to get this finished soon before the wife has had enough of it .

Re: new project - Gary S - 04-07-2010

Looking good, Sir. One option on the table is to buy another one for your wife...

new project - e-paw - 04-09-2010

I decided to add some door grabs, inspired by one of DrWayne's treads, I made a gig to keep them all the same size and in the same location.

Then the next step was to drill 2 holes in each of the 24 doors and bend the grabs from some brass wire using the same gig.

Then of course glue in the grabs with some CA.

Re: new project - doctorwayne - 04-09-2010

Lookin' good, Steve - nice and neat. Thumbsup Thumbsup Wish I had room for a roundhouse that size.

Wayne

new project - e-paw - 04-11-2010

I used some 1/8 inch square tubing to replace the missing truss work. I used the existing truss as a guide. well I didn't need to make an exact replacement, just one that was the same dimensions as the others, they really wont be visible on the finished model. I cut the tubing to the fit and taped it on to one of the old trusses, then tacked the side away from the truss with some gap filling CA. To make the bend in the upper most roof support I heated the stock with a hair dryer and bent it to the same angle.    

When this was dry I removed the new truss and tacked the other side with CA.

new project - e-paw - 04-11-2010

When the truss was completely dry I installed it in place.

My next concern was that I would have to move the round house around a lot during the painting phase of the build, Back and forth to the garage and down to the basement when it finished. So, I used some more of the same tubing as stiffeners between the trusses, gluing it together with some CA at each joint..