new project - Printable Version

+- (https://bigbluetrains.com)
+-- Forum: Mainline (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+--- Forum: HO Modeling (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=21)
+--- Thread: new project (/showthread.php?tid=370)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31

Re: new project - ocalicreek - 05-09-2010

How about some massive vent fans over the two un-skylighted stalls, as if they were added in the space the skylights occupied? In other words, cut the holes for the skylights, build a suitable frame minus window panes, then scratch-bash some sort of fan/blower unit to fit. It's at least plausible.

Progress looks great! Are you bracing the card stock?

Galen

Re: new project - Gary S - 05-09-2010

I like the exhaust fan idea.

And I am still very impressed with the work being done here. Thumbsup

new project - e-paw - 05-09-2010

There is no bracing necessary ocalicreek, the supports included in the kit are close enough to hold up the roof. The roof is going along nicely, and I moved the structure back down to the layout. Here are a few pics of it so far.
The small round house on the left will be the next thing to get worked on.    

new project - e-paw - 05-15-2010

Just a quick update, I'm still working on the roof, and I still haven't made up my mind on what to do with the space with the missing skylight. Here are a few pics of what I've Been up to.        

Re: new project - sgtcarl1 - 05-19-2010

Ah MAZING!!!!! And fantastic work!!!! You are certainly doing a great Job!! Your brickwork turned out very realistic!!
Thumbsup Thumbsup Thumbsup Thumbsup Thumbsup Thumbsup

Re: new project - P5se Camelback - 05-31-2010

I started reading at the first posting. I 've been reading and reading and just now realized that I should have started dinner about forty minutes ago! :o And now I'm here at the end (hopefully only for now) and almost feel let down! :cry: There is no more to read about this awe-inspiring project and modelwork! Sad

In all seriousness, E-Paw, this has been one incredible thread and some top shelf modeling! Thumbsup I'm impressed! Cheers Worship Worship Keep up the good work.

When I started to frequent this forum, I had no idea what the caliber of the modelers here was. Gheeesh! You guys are really giving me an inferiority complex!! Confusedhock:

If I expect to get any votes at all in the 2010 Summer Structure Challenge I'm going to have to pull something off with modeling skills on loan from God! Confusedhock: Big Grin Big Grin 357

Keep it up ... I can't wait to read (and oggle over) more! Cheers Cheers Popcornbeer

Re: new project - ocalicreek - 06-03-2010

You're going to need a full time hostler to manage the motive power coming out of that place! Nothing says big-time railroading like a massive roundhouse and engine servicing facilities. How nice to see the larger shots including more of the overal scene.

Galen

Re: new project - toptrain - 06-11-2010

Hay Kid , My new one. POP
PGW Pennsylvania Great Western Ry    

Re: new project - toptrain - 08-23-2010

Visitors at the ANNA Roundhouse recieve service.

[Image: 2461824580038558074VYLSrr?vhost=home-and-garden]

Re: new project - e-paw - 08-24-2010

?

Re: new project - tomustang - 08-24-2010

toptrain Wrote:Visitors at the ANNA Roundhouse recieve service.

[Image: 2461824580038558074VYLSrr_th.jpg]

wonder if this fixed link works... 219

Re: new project - e-paw - 08-25-2010

I know that I said that I was going to work on the smaller roundhouse next but, I want to get the mains completed. This meant building a removable section of the layout so I would still have access to the rear door of the house. This part will represent either the Delaware or Susquehanna river( depending witch end of the layout you are looking at) .     I installed caster wheels to the bottom so that I could roll it in and out of position .    

I next added some ply wood and foam to the ends and rough shaped them to fit.    

Re: new project - P5se Camelback - 08-25-2010

I'll be watching what you do here carefully as I have two such "roll-away" connections planned, one from the town of Weissport to the engine servicing facility on the "dodgy" side of town and the other which will represent the crossing of the Lehigh River from Weissport to Lehighton, PA.

I was not all that concerned with the "movement" devices, as casters were the natural choice, but I am more interested in solving the "locating" or "alignment" devices and the "locking" devices.

So, I'll be watching ... 8-)

Re: new project - Russ Bellinis - 08-26-2010

I'm not sure what he will use for locating and alignment devices, but if you are not trying to make a "universal interchangeable" device to use in multiple locations, get some door hinges like you would use in your house. Put the rolling section in proper alignment with the permanent part of the layout and clamp it in place. Then install the hinge or two hinges to both sections. Remove the hinge pins and the rolling section is free to roll away into storage. When you roll it into place, the hinges will align it for you and installing the pins will keep it in alignment. Store the pins in the hinge half when the rolling section is in storage.

Re: new project - e-paw - 08-26-2010

I haven't decided on what I'll use for alignment/locking. I'm keeping my eye out for some kind of mechanical latch.

I did some more foam work and poured the river bed.one side will get a 2 track main that will represent the PRR line that ran to Phillipsburg NJ.    

The next step (when it was dry enough) was to mock up the bridge. I don't think a bridge of this type was ever used to span the Delaware or Susquehanna rivers, but it's a freelanced road and I like it. I used The CNJ's DY draw as inspiration, at only a small fraction of it's length and 1/4 it's mechanics, it's small compared to the prototype, but takes up a large part of the roll out.    
The lifting towers are about 120 feet high (minus the legs) and the lifting section is 180 feet long. The hole structure spans both mains.I am building this bridge with the idea that I will one day motorize the lifting section.