new project - Printable Version

+- (https://bigbluetrains.com)
+-- Forum: Mainline (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+--- Forum: HO Modeling (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=21)
+--- Thread: new project (/showthread.php?tid=370)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31

Re: new project - Schraddel - 12-19-2010

Great idea!!! Thumbsup

Lutz

Re: new project - P5se Camelback - 12-21-2010

Nice job there, E-Paw!

It doesn't take long to realize that when you embark on a project that involves production (making several pieces that are the same,) the time it takes to build a jig or a fixture is always time well-spent.

First, a fixture saves you time in building the products that you need for the project at hand and second, when you decide later on that you want or need another one, whatever it is ... no worries, no trying to take measurements from the one (or six) that you built before ... you have fixtures and can build one today that is identical to the one (or eleven) that you built four years ago!

Once again, E-Paw ... stellar job! Thumbsup Big Grin Cheers

new project - e-paw - 01-29-2011

Work has resumed on the bridge. I took over the dinning room table again and cut and glued in the cross-members of the east tower. The heaver ones are already dry and waiting for the other side to set up.    

I used a square to insure that the steel would line up at a 90 degree angle.     The first side was glued up the same way..

Re: new project - Ralph - 01-29-2011

That's shaping up beautifully! Clever approach to assembly. This project is definitely worth taking a few meals on TV trays! Smile
Ralph

Re: new project - rthornton - 01-29-2011

Just stumbled across this thread. WOW, what a great looking layout. Keep up the great work and keep posting pictures for beginners like me! Thanks.

new project - e-paw - 01-30-2011

With the east tower now dried, they can both stand together.
[Image: 001-1.jpg]
I still need to make the cross braces, splice plates, and top deck.

Re: new project - P5se Camelback - 01-30-2011

Lookin' good, there, E-Paw! That's really comin' along! It won't be long before rails will cross the river!

I like the dining room decor as well!
I really love those light birch chairs!
Or is that bleached maple?
Plus, maroon is one of my favorite colors.

Re: new project - tetters - 01-30-2011

Impressive! Thumbsup

new project - e-paw - 01-31-2011

Thanks every one. I trying to get some more work finished but I keep getting trapped in Jersey for a few days at a time with the snowstorms that keep hitting the north east.. Nope

new project - e-paw - 02-02-2011

Started on the cross bracing today.    

While the first ones dries, I drew up the middle section of the lift bridge on the back side of the foam core pad that I am using as a template.     The movable section spans a scale 187 feet in HO which works out to an actual size of just over 24 inches. One detail that I did not draw out on the foam core is the Operators room / tower that guards as well as controls the movement of the lift span. This will be located in the middle on top of the span, a common placement for this type of bridge. Along with this goes a center spire to support the wires that run up to the machine houses on the top of each tower.

new project - e-paw - 02-13-2011

A Little more progress on the drawbridge. The cross braces are in on the back side of the east tower as you can see in this picture.     Eek the bottom one is a little askew,, so that will have to get attention. Eek

Also one side of the center lift span is all assembled just waiting for the glue to finish setting up so the other side can get started.    

Re: new project - Harry - 02-13-2011

great work Thumbsup Worship

new project - e-paw - 02-21-2011

Just a progress pic. All the cross bracing in it on the east tower, even corrected the goofy one. I also started on the other side of the lift section. once that is complete I can get moving on the splice plates for the east tower. [Image: 20110220171158.jpg]

Re: new project - SP1 - 02-21-2011

Thumbsup Thumbsup

Re: new project - mountaingoatgreg - 02-21-2011

This cure is turning into a really nice bridge, just make sure you keep the Conrail stuff of it as it will ruin its visual apeal!!
Keep up the great work and keep posting your progress!!!