new project - Printable Version

+- (https://bigbluetrains.com)
+-- Forum: Mainline (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+--- Forum: HO Modeling (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=21)
+--- Thread: new project (/showthread.php?tid=370)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31

Re: new project - Gary S - 02-23-2011

Hey e-paw, I'm just now getting caught up on threads. The bridge is looking good, any more progress since your last post?

Re: new project - Bob C - 02-23-2011

e-paw's probably "trapped in Jersey" again - the Northeast got one of those "no-snow-in-the-forecast" storms ('bout 8" in 8 hours here in west PA). Hoping you are at least safe and sound, if not home, e-paw ! Bob C.

new project - e-paw - 02-25-2011

Well Bob C I survive the last batch of storms and did actually get some more work finished on the bridge .. Here's a quick mock up of how it's coming along.    

The two sides of the lift section of the bridge are complete, I'll get to joining them together soon. It's a pretty massive structure, considering that it's very much "compressed" from the prototype that I've modeled it after.

Re: new project - Bob C - 02-25-2011

Glad you safely escaped...and the bridge is more impressive with every addition ! Admire your meticulous model of this "Mega-Mover" Wink Bob C.

Re: new project - Ralph - 02-25-2011

That is looking so good! It'll be a real show piece on the layout!
Ralph

Re: new project - mountaingoatgreg - 02-25-2011

Very nice looking bridge, I wish I could say it has motivated me to start on my bridge project, but that is so far away I will just have to check back when I get started. Keep up the great work and I look forward to seeing trains making there way across the bridge soon.

Re: new project - Gary S - 02-25-2011

Great looking bridge, and it is big, even if you had to compress it. Good work! Thumbsup

new project - e-paw - 02-27-2011

Thanks to all again.. Moving along with the next step, "Joining the two sides of the lift section". I do intend to have this bridge operate one day, so this section has to be as square as possible. This necessitates me doing each of the cross braces one at a time. I use two squares , held temporarily in place with painters tape, to hold the sections true as the glue sets up. I only remove them after they are fully dry.    
It's a slow process but I hope that It pays off in the end.
While the sections are drying I walk away from it and find another project to work on.

Re: new project - ocalicreek - 02-28-2011

Quote:While the sections are drying I walk away from it and find another project to work on.

Looks like you'll be getting MANY other projects done while this one is ongoing. Big Grin

This is a BIG project. Hang in there - it's shaping up to be super!

Galen

Re: new project - Green_Elite_Cab - 03-01-2011

Thats impressive! I think that may be long enough to bridge across my 4x8....

new project - e-paw - 03-08-2011

Well I can now call the bulk of the "IRON" work finished Cheers . All of the cross members and X braces are in Thumbsup . all that's left to do is a few hundred splice plates Nope .

Here is an over view of the top of the lift section     The center of the lift section will be home to a bridge tenders/interlocking house and cable support tower.

A close up pic of the middle of the lift section.    

Just for a sense of scale.. Here's a shot of the lift section next to another project that I'm working on. My LNE 2-8-2. It looks like a small toy next to all that Iron.    

Re: new project - Gary S - 03-08-2011

The middle photo with all the criss-crossing iron looks great. I'm looking forward to seeing this thing installed!!!!!

Re: new project - Schraddel - 03-09-2011

e-paw!

Do you have really build your bridge strong enough? When i see the your LNE 2-8-2 in front of it ; my L1 2-8-2 has a weight at least of 2.2 lbs... :geek:
Great work you have done! Both the bridge and the loco!

Lutz

new project - e-paw - 03-09-2011

Don't worry about how strong it is. Although the beams are pretty sturdy on their own, I will be making a frame for all that plastic to sit on. What you see here is purely cosmetic.

new project - e-paw - 03-09-2011

Just to prove my point.....
[Image: 037.jpg]
2 1/2 pounds = 0 deflection.