new project - Printable Version

+- (https://bigbluetrains.com)
+-- Forum: Mainline (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+--- Forum: HO Modeling (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=21)
+--- Thread: new project (/showthread.php?tid=370)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31

Re: new project - Steamtrains - 03-20-2011

Whooaaaa...!! That's some bridge..!! It's turning out really fantastic..!! Thumbsup

Will you be adding all the rigging, pulleys, and whatever, required to lift the span..??

new project - e-paw - 03-20-2011

Quote:Will you be adding all the rigging, pulleys, and whatever, required to lift the span..
Yes , Steamtrains. All that plus the counterweights.
On the prototype they that I'm using for inspiration they look like this. <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://lcweb2.loc.gov/cgi-bin/displayPhoto.pl?path=/pnp/habshaer/nj/nj0800/nj0876/photos&topImages=112217pr.jpg&topLinks=112217pv.jpg,112217pu.tif&title=15.%20%20DETAIL%20VIEW%20OF%20MAIN%20AND%20AUXILIARY%20COUNTERWEIGHTS%20FOR%20299'%20LIFT%20SPANS%20%3cbr%3eHAER%20NJ,7-NEARK,16-15&displayProfile=0">http://lcweb2.loc.gov/cgi-bin/displayPh ... yProfile=0</a><!-- m -->

new project - e-paw - 03-24-2011

Just a quick pic of some of the support buildings that will be attached to the bridge.

On the left is the Transformer disconnect room. It will be covered with some corrugated siding and placed on the platform under the tower. On the right is to oil switch room, It will be painted to look like pored concrete and placed at the bottom of the east tower.

Re: new project - Steamtrains - 03-24-2011

Ohh..yes..!! If it's a beauty now....I't's gonna be a pageant winner when you're done with it..!!

Will follow along to see how this beauty "blooms"... Thumbsup

new project - e-paw - 03-26-2011

The disconnect room is complete. I did not want to get too crazy on detailing this part of the model. Because of the location that It will be mounted on the bridge, It will be difficult to see. So I just covered it with some corrugated siding and gave it a simple door and roof.
    Sorry about the clarity, The auto focus was not playing nice. Nope There is no manual focus on this camera. Wallbang

Here It's mounted in ti's permanent location.    

Re: new project - Gary S - 03-26-2011

Looking really good e-paw. The little disconnect room looks plenty detailed!

I gotta ask though... For the bridge, how many packages of the Central Valley girders did you use?? Big Grin

new project - e-paw - 03-26-2011

14 Gary Thumbsup

Re: new project - mountaingoatgreg - 03-26-2011

E-paw,

That is coming along very nicely and I really am looking forward to seeing more progress on your project. On another note I bought some Archer rivets and I think the riviter from NWSL is a much better deal if you are going to do a large project. Keep up the great work and keep us posted!!!

Re: new project - faraway - 03-27-2011

That is a beautiful and impressive bridge. I did follow this thread for a long time but did never really attracted even the huge amount of dedication and craftsmanship was evident. It was the color that made the difference. I felt in love when I saw the bridge with the brown coat. It is remarkable how much difference color makes. Thumbsup

new project - e-paw - 05-26-2011

I tested a ballast mix on a section of track in Easton to see how it would look, so far so good. At first it was very glossy, but the sheen toned down after a few days as it dried. It's made from a mix of mason sand, tile grout, and a small amount of coal dust. At first I was concerned that it would amplify the sound of cars and locos rolling over it, but luckily there is little to no difference in the noise volume.

I did this in a spot that will be covered up, so if I didn't really like it, that section would not be noticed.

Re: new project - Gary S - 05-26-2011

How exactly are you putting it on? Dry and then adding water once it is in place, or mixing it up with water and then putting it on? Any kind of glue?

Re: new project - Gary S - 05-26-2011

Oh... how is the bridge going?

new project - e-paw - 05-27-2011

Well Gary, I took a break from the bridge for a little while, but I will get back to it soon. The ballast was a dry mix spread over the track and held down with a water/glue mix. Nothing special.

new project - e-paw - 05-29-2011

When I woke up this morning, I went down into the basement to check the dehumidifier, and was surprised to see that the SH&D (Susquehanna Hudson & Delaware) landscapers were here. I found that they were hard at work last night at adding ground cover to the engine terminal at Riegelsville PA. (mp 126).    

They also shored up the incline for the sand house.The ramp will still get some weeds and wooden bracing.    

Because of the extreme humidity some of the dirt/gravel mix was still (and now) wet. You can really see the color contrast in this shot from the wet to dry spots.    

new project - e-paw - 05-29-2011

The transformer rack / High voltage shed was also placed. Just need an Electrician to hook it all up Big Grin .    

Here is an overview of the turntable. Apparently there are some drainage issues.    

Across the turntable is the coal dock as seen here from inside the main round house.