new project - Printable Version

+- (https://bigbluetrains.com)
+-- Forum: Mainline (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+--- Forum: HO Modeling (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=21)
+--- Thread: new project (/showthread.php?tid=370)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31

new project - e-paw - 08-22-2012

Now I spray some thin glue and water mix with a drop or two of dish soap in it over the entire aria. I don't keep the spray bottle so close to the layout, it's just for the picture...I normally spray a mist above the work aria and let it settle down over the ground cover. That way I don't blast the ground foam away with the spray...

When I get to a spot with a switch in the track work I place a small strip of card stock over the "working" end of the turnout as to keep the glue out of the points and turn out controls..

while that sets up you can add some courser ground foam into a few spots to add texture.. Mine is from the foam that I made for my puff ball trees. It all needs to dry so that you can get a final idea of how all the colors will look together.

After it all dries the it looks like this..I am going for a late summer look to the layout, and I think this fits.

new project - e-paw - 08-25-2012

Just a quick pic of some other scenery that I have been up to.    
I added a section of the abandoned Delaware canal just east of the roundhouse in Riegelsville. The location that I chose to plant my round house is actually the location where the engine terminal for the Quakertown & Easton Railway once stood.

new project - e-paw - 05-13-2013

Well the Get Off Your Duff challenge has done just that to me. While posting some of the finished pics for that challenge I was somewhat embarrassed by the way that the smaller roundhouse in Riegelsville looked. It was a completed structure finished by someone else and never improved on. Well It just wouldn't do, so I started on the rebuild. This building ( known on the road as the switcher barn ) represents the pre-first world war portion of the engine facility. When the USRA took control of the railroads It deemed that some facilities needed upgrades, this was one. It and the sand house are all that remain from the original SH&D design. The round house was shortened to three stalls and a new, larger one was erected next to it, along with a new turntable and coaling tower. To get this one going I removed all the windows and glazing so that they could be primed for painting. I also wanted to match the brick work to the larger round house. So just like the first one I started with a wash of a off white mortar color.    

I then started to dry brush the brick color over the walls.     This will take a few coats until it looks right.

Re: new project - jwb - 05-14-2013

I agree that the Kibri roundhouse is an excellent representation of pre-WWI US design. Here's the one on my layout:

Re: new project - modelsof1900 - 05-15-2013

jwb Wrote:I agree that the Kibri roundhouse is an excellent representation of pre-WWI US design. ...

... only a bit too small for a triplex!

Re: new project - jwb - 05-15-2013

The Erie had to send the prototype to the Lehigh Valley shop in Sayre. Everything is too small for a triplex!

new project - e-paw - 05-25-2013

That Triplex is a beast Eek ..

The round house is all painted now.    

I textured the spot for the sign to look like concrete and added the company logo and the year of construction to It.    

As for the back walls I removed two sections to allow the rails to pass through it in order to allow entry into the Back shop building that will be located behind the round house. Any one that has been on the shop tour at Steam town in Scranton will familiar with this arrangement. So now the openings need doors to keep the cold Pennsylvania winters out.    

The doors are styrene with rivets and bracing to look like steal on the outside, the interior surface is heavy wood planking.    
Now for some hinges and hardware.     I started on the hinges by bending and soldering brass wire to make a hook These will be attached to the interior surface of the doors and a pin attached to the building to hang the doors from. I'll add latches and grabs latter, once that is finished I can weather the structure.

Re: new project - modelsof1900 - 05-26-2013

e-paw Wrote:...

I textured the spot for the sign to look like concrete and added the company logo and the year of construction to It.

[Image: file.php?id=18259]

Very good looking work including a very nice detail! Thumbsup Thumbsup Thumbsup

new project - e-paw - 05-30-2013

The rear doors are all mounted and the window glass is in..     I showed them here with one open and the other closed. This shot was taken from the future site of the back shops building.
The weathering is also complete, I wanted to weather it heaver then the rest of the structures in the terminal, as it is an older building. With a date of 1889 makes it about fifty plus years old in the mid forty's time period that I model (roughly 1943 to 1953).

So here are a few pics of it in place.    

Re: new project - doctorwayne - 05-30-2013

Looks good, Steve. Thumbsup I like the muted colours you've chosen, too - it looks old but nowhere near derelict.

Wayne

new project - e-paw - 05-30-2013

That's exactly what I was looking for Doc. Big Grin

new project - e-paw - 06-02-2013

While I was over at Steamtown today working on the DL&W f-3's, I took a pic of the prototype That was my inspiration for the rear doors of my Switcher barn.     The roll up door and the concrete walkway are not original to the roundhouse, but the track that leads out of it and into the shop building is. At one time there were several spots where the two buildings were connected, Now there are only two.

Re: new project - jglfan - 06-06-2013

Man, that looks awesome Steve, great work!

new project - e-paw - 02-16-2014

I have started construction of the Stockertown part of my layout which is home to Hercules Cement. It is located at the intersection of Rt 33 and 191 in Stockertown PA. The plant dates back to the early 1900's and is still in production today, my model will represent it in the mid 40's to early 50's. I'll post a few pics of how it looks today.

This is an overview of the plant from the Rt 33 overpass.The large building in the foreground is too new for my era, it will not be included, but the large smoke stack , silos, and preheat tower were. Although the plant is still served by rail most of the tracks have been removed.

The next two pics show the preheat towers, I will only be building the smaller of the two, as the taller one is too new.

Here is a shot of the storage silos. I will be adding those.    

This is the loading building that is at the front of the plant. This is a "must build" feature of the plant.    

Re: new project - bdw9535 - 02-16-2014

That preheat tower looks to be an ambitious modeling build. Worship

Bruce