Tour Ship - Printable Version

+- (https://bigbluetrains.com)
+-- Forum: The Back Shop (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=52)
+--- Forum: Remembering Our Fallen Flag Members (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=67)
+---- Forum: Sumpter250 (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=82)
+---- Thread: Tour Ship (/showthread.php?tid=5339)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Re: Tour Ship - Svein - 12-28-2012

Cheers , she's a real beauty!

Re: Tour Ship - Ralph - 12-28-2012

Cheers No kidding! That's a beatiful model that looks great set on water!

Re: Tour Ship - AF350 - 12-28-2012

WOW, nice progress. Looks great. Thumbsup

Re: Tour Ship - Sumpter250 - 12-28-2012

I have to say Thanks..... but :oops: :oops: Nope it isn't even finished yet! :oops: Big Grin Big Grin

I still have to figure out an assembly jig for the railings, ( that will work, and be easy to use ) and the real trick will be the canvass above the "bridge deck".
I will try the same technique I used on the "Lindy L "

Re: Tour Ship - Schraddel - 12-29-2012

Thumbsup Thumbsup Thumbsup
Yes sumpter250 you made me remembering my holidays last summer.

[Image: dsc0519006dq2.jpg]
The canvas on Diana is exactly the same as commonly used on European trucks.
It is PVC plastic and has a smooth surface and is in this case stiff tension. So it is nearly even and flat.
I suggest a thin styrene sheet can do it to represent this stiff wrinkleless PVC canvas.

An example:
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Actros182201.jpg">http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Actros182201.jpg</a><!-- m -->
Note the trailer sides are PVC canvas.

And the next time the chapter burnt fingertips? Popcornbeer

Lutz

Re: Tour Ship - Tyson Rayles - 12-29-2012

Pete that ship is a thing of beauty!!!!
Thumbsup Thumbsup Thumbsup
Cheers Cheers Cheers
Worship Worship Worship

Re: Tour Ship - Sumpter250 - 12-29-2012

Schraddel Wrote:The canvas on Diana is exactly the same as commonly used on European trucks.
It is PVC plastic and has a smooth surface and is in this case stiff tension. So it is nearly even and flat.
I suggest a thin styrene sheet can do it to represent this stiff wrinkleless PVC canvas.

And the next time, the chapter, burnt fingertips? Popcornbeer Lutz

Hopefully the railing assembly jig, will make the task quicker, and easier,- - - and prevent the "burnt fingertips" ! 2285_ " been there, done that, not again" :o 357 357 357

Thanks for the "heads-up" on the PVC. When the time comes, I will have to look into the possibility of using a "lawn waste" bag as the material for the canvas. I might be able to actually lash it in place..... Wink Smile

Re: Tour Ship - doctorwayne - 12-29-2012

I think that the railings, for the most part, would be easiest to build in-place. Use phosphor bronze wire (available from Tichy) and pre-tin it before installation. Install the vertical members first, then add the horizontal ones. You'll probably require fixtures to hold the verticals "vertical" and ones to allow for proper and constant spacing of the horizontal members, but both can be easily fabricated from softwood blocks. Add saw kerfs to accept and hold the wire while soldering. To protect nearby plastic parts and previously-made solder joints, the liberal use of wads of wet paper towelling should suffice.
If you're planning the add the mesh safety screen, check fabric shops for suitably-sized tulle, a veil-like material. It can be coloured with ordinary markers.

Wayne

Re: Tour Ship - Sumpter250 - 12-30-2012

doctorwayne Wrote:I think that the railings, for the most part, would be easiest to build in-place. Use phosphor bronze wire (available from Tichy) and pre-tin it before installation. Install the vertical members first, then add the horizontal ones. You'll probably require fixtures to hold the verticals "vertical" and ones to allow for proper and constant spacing of the horizontal members, but both can be easily fabricated from softwood blocks. Add saw kerfs to accept and hold the wire while soldering. To protect nearby plastic parts and previously-made solder joints, the liberal use of wads of wet paper towelling should suffice.
If you're planning the add the mesh safety screen, check fabric shops for suitably-sized tulle, a veil-like material. It can be coloured with ordinary markers. Wayne

Building "in-place", is what I intended from the beginning. The vertical posts from the "shelter deck" to the "bridge deck", had their locating holes drilled in both decks, before the "Shelter deck" superstructure was built, to insure "near perfect" alignment. My one concern, is an assembly jig that is simple to install, easy to relocate,and, to remove after the soldering, and solid enough to insure railing alignment - - - I'm working on the concept, and will build the jigs once I have resolved all the "issues" :o Wink - - which is why all the other stuff is ongoing. Big Grin Big Grin . The railings on the "Tow Boat" are brass rod, soldered in place to the brass stanchions. I used metal "pinch clamps" as heat sinks, and liquid flux helped the almost instantaneous solder joints, so little heat got to the plastic.

Same for the bow railing on "Sinbad"

Where I am building "the American Cousin", I will have to research whether the netting/safety screen, is "required". "Tulle" is what I will use if it is needed. I do like the chain link fences I've been able to construct, using Tulle, and some "Aluminum" spray paint .
"Markers" - - - That's an excellent idea ! Thanks! I really hadn't thought of markers for coloring the safety screens/netting, if I decide to add it. That would definitely eliminate any of the "openings" from being filled in with "color"!

Re: Tour Ship - AF350 - 02-13-2013

Any updates on the ship building?

Re: Tour Ship - Sumpter250 - 02-14-2013

AF350 Wrote:Any updates on the ship building?

Sad not since the start of the "Get Off Your Duff Challenge" :o Icon_lol Icon_lol 357 357 357

Re: Tour Ship - sailormatlac - 02-14-2013

Sumpter250 Wrote:
AF350 Wrote:Any updates on the ship building?

Sad not since the start of the "Get Off Your Duff Challenge" :o Icon_lol Icon_lol 357 357 357

You're shelving projects on purpose for the 2014 Challenge? Icon_lol

Matt

Re: Tour Ship - Sumpter250 - 02-15-2013

sailormatlac Wrote:"AF350" wrote: - - - -Any updates on the ship building? "Sumpter250"wrote: - - - Sad not since the start of the "Get Off Your Duff Challenge" :o Icon_lol Icon_lol 357 357 357

You're shelving projects on purpose for the 2014 Challenge? Icon_lol Matt

Eek I never even thought of it.....that way Wink Wink 357 357 Good Idea !!! Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

Re: Tour Ship - AF350 - 03-28-2013

Sumpter, I found a prototype tugboat that I may base a scratch build on. found it in a train mag. Railroads Illustrated it is called The Ruby Belle work tug. I chose it one because it looked kinda different and also Rubty is my mother's name Icon_lol I found a pic of it on line as well.

Re: Tour Ship - Sumpter250 - 03-29-2013

I don't have a copy of "Railroads Illustrated", so I'm not sure how this tug is used......but.....
I would guess, from the fact that the pilot house is raised, significantly above the rest of the tug, that she is used to push barges, with freight cars on board.
Looks like it might be an excellent *scratchbuild project*. If you go ahead with that, post the progress here, I'm sure there would be someone else interested....like maybe anyone who might be building the "Stick Lighter" from the Railroad Model Chraftsman article ?, or anyone using a "Carferry-Barge" as a staging device?.

I will be happy when the 2013 Get Off Your Duff And Finish Something "challenge" is done, and I can get back to working on the tour ship.
Wink It will be nice having the NG O/F 2-6-6-2 done and running Wink Wink