Tour Ship
In a "Weekly Photo Fun" Schraddel posted a photo of MS Diana, a Lake and Canal cruise ship http://www.the-gauge.net/forum/viewtopic...04#p104704
After several PM's, I've gotten to this point in building "Diana's American Cousin", as yet, unnamed.

Looking at the photos, I will have to make a few modifications to the pilot house windows ( from a North Atlantic Fishing Trawler kit ), They are a bit too small. The hull is from a Revell "The Firefighter" kit ( There will be lots of neat little details left over from that kit 8-) Icon_twisted Wink )
There will also be a lot of soldering on all the stanchions and handrails.
While I've decided not to model MS Diana, I still like the overall appearance, so will follow it fairly closely.
The vessel, when complete, will cruise Great Island Sound, and the lower Kennequogue River, making stops at Cindy's Harbor Seaport Village and Museum, and points of interest along the way.
Smile Wink yeah, another "ship" project. Icon_twisted, but I should be able to "populate" this one with a lot of LPB's, in a partying mood. Cheers Cheers
Wink I have to remember to keep this model under 5-1/8" tall, or it won't go under the bridge ! :o :o
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!
Nice looking bash ya got going there Pete! You could always turn the bridge into an actual operating bridge, think of the drama that would bring to the module! Thumbsup
Mike

Sent from my pocket calculator using two tin cans and a string
There are two bridges, a double track through girder, that's high enough to "get under", and a rolling lift bridge.
Both span the module boundary, and are "rail joinered" in place.
My original intention was to have the rolling lift operational - - - then I remembered "fingers", and the fact that the bridge was on the front edge of the modules. Eek Eek
Visions of shattered remains of locomotive, on the floor !! lead me to "rail joiner" the bridge in place. Icon_twisted 357
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Don't whimp out on us ! Ya could put a sensor on it that would cut power and stop the train if the bridge is not in place, like the ones they have for layouts the have a drop down or removable section at a doorway. That might cost a few $$$$$$ but for a man of your ( or my ) means price is no object when it comes to our trains! Right? Icon_lol
Mike

Sumpter 250,

That is a great boat you have built Thumbsup

Reminds me of the fishing tour boats on Lake Erie or even more like the ones that take people and supplies to Mackinac Island up in Michigan. Lake Erie and the Great lakes in general and Micigan---now I have craving for fudge Icon_lol If you have been to any where around the lakes especialy in Michigan everyone makes and sells fudge and you can watch them make it and cool it on marble tables.
AF350 Wrote:Sumpter 250, That is a great boat you have built Thumbsup
---now I have craving for fudge Icon_lol If you have been to any where around the lakes especialy in Michigan everyone makes and sells fudge and you can watch them make it and cool it on marble tables.

"Great Boat"? OK maybe it will be, "I have built"? Big Grin Nope I am "building", it's a long way from finished. Big Grin Big Grin
I've never watched the fudge being made.......I do remember the Marble slab ( could have been a table top ) My Grandmother, and my Mother used to make "Christmas hard candy ". My ex wife's Aunt made some excellent fudge.
Those memories woke up my "sweet tooth" Wink Smile Popcornbeer
Diana > Ship of Sweden > Gotakanal ??? :?:
greeting from the blade city Solingen / gruß aus der Klingenstadt Solingen

Harry

Scale Z and N
Messerscharf kombiniert Harry!
You are right Harry!

[Image: dsc05087b4lym.jpg]
And i think Pete will get it right with catching the overall generic look of this vessel.

Lutz
Without a really clear picture of the Bridge Deck "structures".....I used parts of the "firefighter" Kit superstructure, to build the structure around the base of the stack. It's a "best guess".
I've sketched out a "probable" bar, for the area immediately aft of that structure, and will build that next.
The overhead for the bridge deck cabins is a card stock piece. I'm still debating whether to build it this way, or carry it to the full width of the bridge deck. The "Trawler pilot house" works for me. It is a different "look".
Because of all the windows, some interior detail will be needed, especially in the "lounge" / "diner" areas. I'm figuring a hint of furniture ( tables, chairs, etc., and curtains and drapes at least ). I also need to build interior cabin walls to block the "see through effect". At some point in the build, I will have to lay down the wood deck planks on the bridge deck.
The wood railing, on the shelter deck - - ( OK, I'm retired U.S. Navy so,- - -I would call the "shelter deck" the main deck. What they call the main deck, Is the "first deck", what they call the "bridge deck", is the 0-1 level, and the overhead of the pilot house,and cabins aft of it is the 0-2 level ) - - is going to be "fun" , as the "full height stanchions" pass through it.
At this point, I will probably not model the "break doors" ( Port and Starboard from the lounge bulkheads, to the hull sides ).
There is one photo that shows them not installed.

View of the port side;

Port quarter view;

Starboard quarter view;

Starboard bow view;

Looking good Pete! Thumbsup
Mike

I got a little bit more done....
All the interior bulkheads ( "Walls" ) are in, and the interior stairwell from the lounge, down to the first deck cabins, is opened. Where that can be seen through the windows, I'll build the stairs and railings, and install them.
I built the ladder from the main deck aft, to the 01 level, and I need to build and attach the handrails to it before installing it permanently.
The bar, is loosely based on the "portable bars" found in many hotels, that are used as "cash bars", at catered events.
It can be seen in this photo, with an HO scale figure standing in as the bartender. In the lower, right of center, you can see the ladder in place. Checking the "Diana_Decksplan", this ladder seems to be the only way to get to the 01 level / bridge, Pilothouse. The crew, must come up from the first deck, to the Fo'c'sl ( Fore castle, main deck at the bow ), walk aft to the fantail, go up to the 01 level, and forward to the pilothouse. ( I guess that "keeps them in shape" :o 357 )

I'm really enjoying watching this take shape. Such an elegant craft. What a nice way to tour.
You're doing an excellent job :looks the business and captures the feel of a tour ship. I shall enjoy watching your progress.

Cheers,

Kev
Such is life
One of the interesting things about a project like this is.. Finding the clues to the actual size of things.
One of my first mistakes was thinking in terms of feet and inches. I've had to go back and change several details, because they just didn't "fit".
Then, there are the details, like the stays for the funnel/stack....I finally saw a hint of them when looking for something else. Those will be added once the superstructure is permanently attached. There has to be an anchor windlass, but I have no idea what the one "Diana" had, so will have to rely on " experience, and memory " for a reasonable representation.
In the end, this is a welcome departure from the " same old, same old ". and will have a place on the Seaport modules.
Thanks, for the interest, and the positive comments, they add to the fun.
Pete
Pete!

This is the only photo i found were the anchor winch is visible:

[Image: dsc052225irhs.jpg]
Diana has only this solely anchor. The winch is one of the old fashioned traditional type with cranks and spur gear. A rather big gear is visible on the photo.
The gears are partly covered upper and aft by sheets.
Lateron the winch was motorized with an 90° gearhead electric motor mounted on the starboard side of the gear case. The motor is of industrial standard type and is facing backwards.

Lutz