Modern boxcars with working doors?
I'm looking for a modern day 50' boxcar but with working/sliding door(s), do they even exist? I always see 40' boxcars with working doors but it seems like 50'+ boxcars that are produced all have doors that are part of the mold. Ready to roll, undecorated, single door, double door, anything..
The best choices for modern boxcars with opening doors would be some Athearn RTR. This would include their XAF10 Railbox and their double-door IPD lumber cars -- those Railboxes went to Class Is in the 1980s, but some are still around either patched or in full Class I paint. Your best bet on these would be eBay or swaps.
If you can find them Atlas also did 50' ACF Precision Design and 60' ACF auto parts box cars with sliding doors.

Bruce
Thanks JWB and Bruce, I found a few on ebay. Some sellers post them with pictures of the door open so I assume they slide, but no one ever mentions it in the description.
You may find some kits with positional doors also.These don't open as such it just means you can attach the doors either open or closed.I have a couple Accurail cars that are that way.I plan someday to see if I can make the doors slide open or shut.
Johnathan (Catt) Edwards
"The Ol Furrball"

"I'm old school,I still believe in respect"
Athearn's 50' "Railbox" style boxcars has operating doors.
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

Make Safety your first thought, Not your last!  Safety First!
Intermountain makes modern 60' boxcars w/ working doors. Branchline & Kadee make 50' boxcars w/ working doors that lasted into the ''70s & '80s & maybe '90s.
Andy Jackson
Santa Fe Springs CA
ATSF/LAJ Ry Fan & Modeler
Thanks for the info guys, I found 1 Athearn and 1 Atlas both single sliding doors that will do the trick.
Re: Modern boxcars with working doors?

"You may find some kits with positional doors also.These don't open as such it just means you can attach the doors either open or closed.I have a couple Accurail cars that are that way.I plan someday to see if I can make the doors slide open or shut."

You could do like Branchline BluePrint cars did. The had a piece that glued to the back of the door that have a spacer as thick as the car body with a piece of plastic inside that locked the door into the into the body, but allowed it to slide open and closed. The advantage is no out of scale "claws" to mar the scale appearance.