Tmo layout addition '24 build challenge
Well, my wife's getting ready for her trip, so I had a little time here inside.  Laid out the rough draft of the slide-in unit structure on a piece of foam board replete with the areas that will be "flat" and the boundary of the coal tailings pile.  

Cut out the edges and cut the back side of the foam board to accommodate the acute angle fold.  

Test fitted in the area of interest.

I'll hit the whole thing with some spray paint and let 'er dry whilst I take the crew up to Philly to catch their flight over the pond.

Attached Files Image(s)

Check out my "Rainbows in the Gorge" website: http://morristhemoosetm.wixsite.com/rainbows
That is a great idea. I am going to be following this because I know eventually I am going to have a couple areas that will be inaccessible as the layout progresses. I am also interested in how you make it slide in and out. I have a few structures from the old layout that I may not have room for on the new layout and I have been thinking about making them interchangeable.

You have a very good start thus far.
Tom
Silence is golden but Duct tape is silver
Ridley Keystone & Mountain Railroad
My Rail Images Gallery
Glad to be a trailblazer for you Tom.  This is also a new approach for me.  However, in my case, my plan is to slide this module in (after finishing the scenery elements) and never slide it back out - your interchangeable idea is pretty interesting, however.  Before we headed to Philly, I added another piece of foam board on the long wall and I hit the walls of my module with spray paint - green (for the scrub brush areas) and black (for the coal tailings).  The paint was dry by the time I got back, so I used an angle gauge to measure the ideal angle between the two walls (after sliding the module into the corner) and then created a "floor" for the module (another piece of foam board cut at that ideal angle between the walls).  Taped the floor to the walls and then ran a bead of foam glue in the intersecting corners.  I'll let that set up and dry over night before creating the 3-D features for the coal tailings (maybe tomorrow night if I don't cut the grass).  Here's the drying unit:

One of three months down.  I'm glad this contest is just for kicks - I'm afraid I bit off way more than I can chew.  I can't see any way it's going to be "complete" by 1 September, but heck, that's why it's a CHALLENGE!
Check out my "Rainbows in the Gorge" website: http://morristhemoosetm.wixsite.com/rainbows
I love this concept for building in the hard to reach area, TMo.

I definitely hear you on biting off more than you can chew. I had to be pretty careful in picking my project as I will only really get about four days to work on it in July and another four in August. Thankfully building a single resin kit shouldn’t be too much but it’s definitely on my mind!
————————————————————————————
Modeling the East Broad Top as it was between 1937-1942
~Amanda
this was my solution for hard-to-reach spots.
Jim

Attached Files Image(s)

Really curious how this narrow corner will come out. The silos you made came out excellent.
--
Kevin
Check out my Shapeways creations!
3-d printed items in HO/HOn3 and more!
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s-model-train-detail-parts">https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s ... tail-parts</a><!-- m -->
Well, so much for attacking the challenge whilst the bride is in Europe. Got a phone call from her at 3:30 AM after cancelling a flight that should have left at 6:55 PM the previous day. Between weather issues right up the northeast coastline last night and pilots timing out, it wasn't in the cards. Rustled myself out of bed and made another trip up to Philly to pick them up - waiting 3 hours in the cell phone lot while they waited to get their luggage off of the second plane they'd loaded. Trips been cancelled for now and they can thank their forethought of getting the travel insurance. The biting-of-more-than-I-can-chew feeling just got a bit worse regarding this challenge.

I love that derrick, Jim, but I'm guessing that's going for at least a c-note, it wouldn't fit in the area of interest (which is only 6 inches wide at it's widest), and I would not have enough room to run those front legs and caster's through the interfering file cabinet that's just below the area of interest.

Thanks for the kudos on the silos, Kevin. One of these days I'll have a finalized plan for exactly where it's going to go. I have two other kits waiting to be printed, cut, folded and assembled, and I have a few others planned. If only I could 3-d print a time machine.... should have made that my Challenge Entry!!!
Spurred on by the progress of my fellow competitors, and armed with the knowledge that the Challenge goes "poof!" in 60 days, I figured my output for the evening had better be something other than mere words....

Pulled out my pail of ready-made cardboard strips salvaged from Priority mail boxes, pulled my glue gun out of the same pail, plugged 'er in and set about making some 3-D for the coal tailings pile.  Did that from the comfort of my seat here at the desk.  

Didn't know if the scale was right, but then all I had to do was slide 'er in place to check it out, and I don't think I'll make any significant changes.

I then thought, there's no way I could slap the plaster cloth on tonight, is there?  (My alarm clock kicks me out of bed at 5 AM every workday, so I generally tend to follow the sage advice of Mr. Ben Franklin)....  Went upstairs and the bride was still watching something silly on the TV, so I shrugged my shoulders and got the plastic bin out with that stuff and slapped THAT on right here on the desk...  DONE!  Ready for Sculptamold tomorrow night (maybe).

(Yesterday, 06:07 PM)TMo Wrote: I love that derrick, Jim, but I'm guessing that's going for at least a c-note, it wouldn't fit in the area of interest (which is only 6 inches wide at it's widest), and I would not have enough room to run those front legs and caster's through the interfering file cabinet that's just below the area of interest.

I got mine for under 70 dollars and it has max Hight of 60 inches under the top as for access  I have ne restraints as all my wiring is run under in the supports so mine is open with my age and physical restraints this was the best option for me. the 4th level on min is at 54 inches with it I can reach across 4 ft.
Jim
Great buy, Jim! Definitely the right tool for the job and a great suggestion for all of us in predicaments that only model railroading can provide.