PRR RS3 Lettering
Recently picked up a Athearn HO http://PRR RS3 #5464. This loco has the keystone emblems only, no Pennsylvania spelled out on the sides. Anyone know what the earliest this lettering scheme would have shown up on RS3's?
I just checked the Fallen Flags site. There is a picture of that exact unit it seems to be the correct scheme and was used in the early 1960's. Anything earlier from what I see came between 1956 and 1960 used the "Pennsylvania" spelled out on the long hood, but the road numbers were in the 8400 and 8800 series.
Torrington, Ct.
NARA Member #87
I went to my Happy Place, but it was closed for renovations.
This is just speculation on my part, but when they started talking merger with NYC some locomotives got large numbers when they where shopped, and they may have omitted the lettering in anticipation of the merger. It would have been pretty fast to remove a herald. I believe they started talking in late 64.
Charlie
Charlie B Wrote:This is just speculation on my part, but when they started talking merger with NYC some locomotives got large numbers when they where shopped, and they may have omitted the lettering in anticipation of the merger. It would have been pretty fast to remove a herald. I believe they started talking in late 64.
Charlie

As i understand it, the last PRR locomotives to get a full "Pennsylvania" on the sides were the E44 electrics. After that, it was Keystone emblems only. they arrived in 1960. While i have no doubt possible merger was the reason, i think i also heard somewhere that it was getting to expensive to maintain the lettering on the side, or something of that nature. the PRR was strapped for cash in those days.
Modeling New Jersey Under the Wire 1978-1979.  
[Image: logosmall.png]