Need some GP38 help
I have 2 Atlas Gp38-2s that im having an issue with. I dont know what it's called or what it's purpose is so my first question is what is the box on the conductors side right behind the cab? My problem is that it seems Atlas didn't get the dimensions of that box correct which is making my NY&A paint scheme all out of whack. The top white stripe (blue stripe in the photo) needs to be right under the window sill but then also be right at the top edge of that box and continue to the back of the engine. I was thinking of using small strips of styrene to add to the height (not sure how great that'll look) but wanted to see if anyone here has had the same issue and knows a way fix the height problem.

basically the box needs to be a hair taller than the blue tape
[Image: gp2_zps3ae40bd4.jpg]
[Image: gp1_zps494d9109.jpg]

This is the paint scheme <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=327928&nseq=78">http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.p ... 28&nseq=78</a><!-- m -->
RScott, your only options are to stripe it as is, or to increase the height of the box. I am not familiar with that model so I don't know what was in that area on the prototype, but from looking at various pictures it varied in height on different roads.
Charlie
I decided just to make a shell of a taller one around the existing one. Do you know what purpose this box serves?
[Image: 1bff45e3-966d-49e5-92d2-142788d0459e_zpsc244a492.jpg]
erased, append referred to a wrong box. sorry
Reinhard
I was thinking it was a flange lubricator, but I'm not certain about it.

Dave
-Dave
Bob,

The box is an electrical cabinet air filter box or an ecafb .

Bruce
Thanks Bruce, I have no clue if the new dimensions are correct but it's the height i need so it'll have to do.
Details West part #161 (listed as either VF-161 or NB-161 depending on the documentation) is the proper detail for this locomotive (VF-107 is similar but too small).

Its $1.95, so why not? As was noted, these are the electrical cabinet filter boxes.
Modeling New Jersey Under the Wire 1978-1979.  
[Image: logosmall.png]
Thanks G-E-C, not sure how confident I am cutting off the one that's molded to the body, but ill give it a try.
Rscott417 Wrote:Thanks G-E-C, not sure how confident I am cutting off the one that's molded to the body, but ill give it a try.

Gently, slowly, and use a fresh, sharp, "cutting tool" Wink
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!
Yeah, that box is in a tight place. I would use a drill and go straight down the center of the box from the top, and hollow it out until I was close to the deck. I would then remove it in chunks, drilling into the box from the sides to help break it up.

Once it was mostly clear, use a hobby knife (maybe a chisel blade?) to scrape off the rougher surfaces. From there, sanding sticks, files, sanding films, and occaisional help with the chisel blade, until the area is smooth. Since you'll be putting this larger box over the area, you just need to make the parts you can see look nice.
Modeling New Jersey Under the Wire 1978-1979.  
[Image: logosmall.png]
Thanks again for the parts info G-E-C, finished the electric cabinets on both of them today
[Image: 2013-07-29_12-06-36_389_zps103abd30.jpg]