Kadee coupler question
Hi everyone.Finally got my layout up and running and there are not problems pulling cars through switches etc.I did add 1/2oz of weight over the trucks of each box car. I did notice a small issue with a few of the Kadee #158's.A couple of the knuckles are a little stiff and don't close after uncoupling. I checked the springs using a magnifying glass and did not see and paint (from weathering ) stuck anywhere.I did shoot some graphite lubricant into coupler pockets and the springs.Does anyone have any other ideas to keep the knuckles moving loosely?
Bob
Although I've never had that problem with Kadees You might try changing the knuckle springs on the effected couplers.
Give em a good wiggle to ensure the graphite has got where it needs to be. :-)
poliss Wrote:Give em a good wiggle to ensure the graphite has got where it needs to be. :-)
Cheers
The Graphite is the recommended lubricant for the knuckles.
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!
Thanks guys-I'll try the wiggle method. I'll change springs as a last result.
Bob
Bob, if the couples are held on with screws they may just be too tight.
Charlie
Look at the trip pin to make sure it's not pushed too far down so that it binds in the pivot holes. I haven't had any do this since I stopped painting them and using Goo to hold the springs in.
I would go with gently twisting it back and forth.
David
Moderato ma non troppo
Perth & Exeter Railway Company
Esquesing & Chinguacousy Radial Railway
In model railroading, there are between six and two hundred ways of performing a given task.
Most modellers can get two of them to work.
Charlie-David,Thanks for the replies.
The couplers are held in place by a snap on metal cover.I'm not sure if that is causing them to hang up.I have a bunch of plastic covers so I might experiment with one car and see if the plastic cover makes a difference.
I cut all the trip pins off the couplers so I don't think that is a problem. The fact that a few of the knuckles are not as free moving as I would like them is not a real issue.They still work and I am hitting them with graphite to lubricate them.
Bob
Snap on metal covers sounds like Athearn. The metal covers tend to fall off. I always drill the center pivot post and tap it for a 2-56 and install the plastic Kaddee screws cut to the correct length to hold the metal covers on securely.
The snap on metal covers are punched from sheet stock. I have seen some where there is a small ridge of "flash" on the edge where the coupler shank can rub on it, and impede the coupler swing. I'm in the habit of dressing that edge with a smooth needle file before assembly.
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!
I've had the occasional Kadee that had a minor amount of flash between the knuckle and the other part - opening and closing it by hand a few times cleared it up. If you're trimming off the trip pins, check to ensure that you haven't inadvertently pulled the top (flared) end of the pin too far down into the coupler casting, causing the knuckle to bind on the flared portion.

Wayne
Thanks Wayne- when I cut the trip pins I put my cutters as close to the bottom of the knuckle as possible.After the cut was made the was still a small amount of the pin showing.I am going to check for flash and see if that helps.

Edit
After I posted this I took one of my cars and removed the coupler. I took a real small paint brush and put a dab of 70% alcohol on the spring and worked it in by moving the knuckle back and forth. Result-no sticking.I re-checked it this morning and it works fine. I also removed the metal cover plate and put one of the plastic ones in it's place (not glued for now),result-no hang ups on side to side motion. Now I can do the rest of the cars.
Bob