I think I am done with headlights.
Yeah, I gave up on lights quite some time ago. I used to do a lot of locomotive rebuilds (mostly re-motoring, re-gearing, and paint jobs) for others and many wanted working lights. It was always a hassle to install them, yet still leave the loco easy to disassemble for servicing, and, of course, bulb replacement. New locos using LEDs were equally bad, as they're usually accompanied by a printed circuit board, another space-eater where I'd rather add extra weight to make the loco perform better.
Like Kevin's modelling era, headlights weren't normally used in daylight in my late '30s era, either, so one of the first things I do to a new loco is remove the lights and all associated circuitry. Since I run DC, I usually re-wire the loco and tender, too, either making them all-wheel pick-up or at least, for steam locos, capable of running without their tenders. This is very useful for maintenance and fine tuning.
I like MV Products polymer lenses - they look like an unlit reflector-type headlight (much better than an empty casting where the bulb or LED used to be), and for those who prefer working lights, can be illuminated using a bulb or LED.

[Image: Locomotives017.jpg]

Another benefit of doing away with headlights is that it also permits you to eschew passenger car and caboose lighting, and ditto for structures. This minimises the amount of work needed to detail interiors - not that there's anything wrong with doing that kind of work if you enjoy it, but I have too much other stuff I want to complete to bother with that kind of detail. The shop at Lowbanks once had full interior lighting, but I removed it when I re-did the roof. It added nothing to daylight operations, and like Kevin, there's no way I wanted to stumble around in a darkened layout room, unable to see most of the things into which I've put so much effort. Misngth To be totally realistic, one would need to put working lights in the vehicles, too, and that would draw attention to the fact that they're not moving. Eek

Wayne

Messages In This Thread