Ten-Wheelers for the Grand Valley....
Progress is slow on these two locos, but I've finally got most of the feedwater piping in place. I've also replaced the locomotive's brake cylinders for the drivers - they broke off while other work was being performed. These are cast metal parts, and snapped off where the mounting pin enters the loco's frame. I managed to drill-out what was left of the larger mounting pegs, then created new mounting pins from wire.

[Image: 100_5495.jpg]

The lifting injectors (black plastic) are from Bachmann's Consolidation (I bought a bunch of cabs to use on all my Grand Valley locos, and they come with the boiler casting, too). This provides lots of extra detail parts, although I decided to use top feed check valves on these two locos. Those parts are from PSC. I used brass wire for the line from the injectors to the check valve, connecting to the injectors with a short section of reamed-out brass tubing, while all of the brass-to-brass connections are soldered.

[Image: 100_5502.jpg]

As was done on my Consolidations and re-worked Moguls, I added the actuating rods for the injectors using phosphor-bronze wire:

[Image: 100_5503.jpg]

By adding a styrene spacer strip on the boiler-side of the backhead from the Bachmann 10-Wheeler's original boiler, I was able to include it on these locos. The spacer allows it to clear the rear of the motor. To facilitate dis-assembly, the backhead is cemented to the cab floor. One of the more difficult tasks during this kind of re-build is ensuring that all work is solidly done, yet still allows dis-assembly - In this case, it's simply to allow the cab window "glass" to be added after the loco is painted. Beyond that, cab and boiler will be removeable as a unit.
Also visible below is one of the lead blocks where the fireman's seatbox would normally be located - these help to counterbalance the weight of the cast metal boiler and the lead-filled air tanks.

[Image: 100_5504.jpg]

The next task will be the air system, including the compressor, cooling coils and piping, and the other air tanks.

Wayne

Messages In This Thread