WPF 1/24 - 1/30
BR60103 Wrote:I'll have to try to get to Newark Penn the next time we're down that way. Are the trains visible from someplace that we can get to?

Newark does not have a good reputation, though I'm sure the train station is safe. That said, even in my books, there are not many pictures taken of trains outside of Newark station (most are from within). The station is mostly covered up, so its difficult to get photos from the outside.

However, a popular spot has been the eastbound Harrison station platform of the PATH rapid transit line, which gives you a good view of the trains approaching and depart Newark Penn Station. It is just East of the "Dock" moveable bridges, and Newark Penn Station is literally on the other side of these bridges. The PATH trains themselves also go to Hoboken Terminal and Manhattan, so in theory, you could use the PATH to move around and railfan the NEC and the Hoboken lines (former DL&W and Erie railroad).

The PATH station is probably the best place, since there are no other station west of Newark before Hunter interlocking, where the Raritan Valley trains diverge off the NEC onto the Lehigh Line ( a freight line I think under NS control after the Conrail split).
Modeling New Jersey Under the Wire 1978-1979.  
[Image: logosmall.png]

Messages In This Thread