Bachmann Tank Car
I think the current Bachmann tank car is old tooling, and for quite a while I think they only used it for their track cleaning tank car. However, lately they've brought out some new road names in an ordinary tank car version, which are pretty inexpensive at discount. Here's the one that caught my eye, a Tidewater Oil car:

I'm pretty sure I have a DVD with archival film from the 1930s showing a train on the New Haven with one of these. I went poking around to see what other information I could gather, and I discovered that the Strasburg Rail Road has a car painted for Tidewater in its charter freight train set, and beyond that, I'd taken a photo that showed the car on a visit in 2006:

The Strasburg car is numbered TWOX 1367, while the Bachmann is 1368, but the lettering is otherwise identical, down to weigh dates. I assume Bachmann followed the Strasburg car. I don't know where the orange dome came from, and now I'm going to have to watch my DVD to see if my memory is correct. If there's no orange dome on the prototype, it's no biggie to paint it black. The Strasburg equipment roster says its car was built by General American, and they got it from NJT, where it had been a CNJ fuel car. I think the Bachmann car is a generic sorta-kinda.

I keep wishing the manufacturers would put out models credibly lettered for Strasburg, or some of the cars they have in their collection. At least this is a good start, and I'm delighted to have it.

Messages In This Thread