How much can we justify spending?
Well, this is getting more afield, but I agree that what's irksome is people who claim to have any "final answer". There are numerous hobby figures who are this way, many of whom have blogs where they proclaim (1) how things should be done, and (2) who has exactly the right idea. I'm not going to mention any others, but they're out there. My own view is that several of the "prototype modeler" "experts" who blog about their layouts have basically boring layouts. One in particular is modeling the California coast. Well, gee, I live in the same place, and, uh, I hate to say it, but his layout doesn't remind me much of the California coast. I guess it's just me.

I think part of the problem is when we get away from the models themselves. I particularly enjoy posts, here and on other forums, by guys who've upgraded older HO stuff, wood-and-metal or plastic. When they stick with that, their posts are really great. When they start saying they've got the only way to do things, that's something else.

Messages In This Thread