A few changes at Elfrida...
Wayne, I am sorry, but I am going to have to call you on the loading dock doors sliding into pockets in the walls.
Please dont take this as nit picking an otherwise wonderful model, I just wished to share some of my building knowledge, which in this case happens to include a building of similar age to one I work closely with daily.
Your building is a cut stone building from @ 1850 or earlier, and while the stone used maybe different from the bluestone used at the school I work at I can assure you that the building technique will be similar. The cut facing stones will be supported on the inside by a rubble and lime mortar wall of at least 24 [even 30 to 36] inch thickness at dock level given that there are three floors and a roof above the dock. The inside walls will be rendered with a sand and lime mortar. Not a very strong construction technique, but thats what they had at the time.
The walls and lintels of the time, simply do not have the strength [in tension or compression] to be able to deal with pocket cavities for the doors.
The doors will be swing doors mounted to a substantial framed opening and I would expect that they swing out to provide as much dry space inside the factory as possible.
I must admit that I was eye-balling the model thinking that it would for the basis for a model of the Quad South at school, just needs a clock tower in the middle.
Mark
Fake It till you Make It, then Fake It some More

Messages In This Thread