I found a wayback machine
With regard to the increase in MR staff numbers;

I think that one reason for the rise in staff numbers is the move by Model Railroader to utilize the internet with things like MR Video Plus and Digital Editions as well as MR .com Newsletter and things like Cody's Office.
All of these sorts of things require people to power them both in visible on screen roles and lots more behind the scenes.
Basically if MR is to survive and thrive in the cyber age then it needs to be involved in the cyber age.
The development of tablet devices and our increasingly complex mobile phones are a major change in the way people can view information, provided you dont drop, loose or have the damn thing stolen.
They would have done plenty of market research and noted the falling numbers for the print edition both at the news-stand and subscribers.
What do you do? MR has decided to move into the digital and cyber world, but the problem with that world is the constant craving for new material as evidenced by the media circus following the loss of Malaysian Airlines MH 370. People are no longer prepared to wait for their monthly magazine, they "need" and want constant involvement and interaction. You can even order your favourite MR How To books as digital books now.
At this point in time the price for the print edition or the digital edition of the magazine [or a book] is the same, with a discount if you order both versions of the magazine. I estimate that within 5 years the print edition will begin to rise as more people move to the digital edition.

I myself favour the print edition, but I am considering getting the back catalogue on DVD so I can de-clutter a bit.
There is another one or more staff members required to help produce those sorts of specials.

Mark
Fake It till you Make It, then Fake It some More

Messages In This Thread