WPF 6/20 to 6/27
My wife and I took Metrolink downtown the other day to take care of some business. Here are some grab shots from the train as it passed the main mechanical facility at Taylor:

891 is the first loco I've seen with a "PTC" decal applied. Metrolink is implementing this as part of changes following a 2008 head-on with numerous fatalities that happened when the engineer was texting his boyfriend instead of watching signals.

Another change is replacement of the former Bombardier "lozenge" cab cars with new ones that have crash-absorbing noses and an elevated cab. Rather than convert the cab cars to cabless mid-train ones, they've simply withdrawn them, and the other cabless Bombardier cars seem to be on the way out as well -- most of the cars in this view are new Rotems from Korea. In addition to the new cab car configuration, most of the seats in the cab cars have also been removed as an additional safety buffer. Let me see: we're adding PTC so the trains won't hit each other. On the other hand, when they do, we're making things safer by keeping people from sitting in the safe cab car. The head spins!

An example of how you can add junk and clutter to a modern engine facility.

Messages In This Thread