The German Part of jwb's Layout
I won't disagree that there are toylike aspects, although I'm trying to do things to as high a standard as I can on my layout, understanding at the same time that the layout is also a souvenir collection as much as an effort to build a museum exhibit!

I do note as well that many Anglophone modelers of European systems seem not to have terrifically high expectations -- I was involved in a UK-based forum with a lot of US membership for European-prototype modelers a number of years ago that sort of broke down when the Maerklinisten sort of took over and objected to anyone asking too many questions or trying to do too much! That experience probably cooled my enthusiasm for a while!

As I said earlier, I've been desultorily collecting European stuff for maybe 45 years and doing what I can to bring it up to current standards. Here's a shot of a Roewa (long defunct manufacturer) box van that I upgraded with Roco NEM coupler pockets and Kadee couplers. The Lima Italian car to the right has the same modification. I painted the roof silver to match Italian practice, and the car will eventually be weathered. Lima is also at least temporarily out of production. Their stuff in the past was very cheap and minimal, but some of it can be brought along, in my opinion.

Messages In This Thread