My first Scratch Build.
tetters Wrote:Actually...knowing the foot print, say I draw a line at 12' 2". Then all I really need is to figure out the height which is not marked on the drawing...bear with me here as I think about this...

Wait...half the the distance 6' 1" squared x height (ceiling to peak) squared = distance from the outside of the wall to the peak. Once I figure out this distance I can add another 1' to get my overhang and I'm good.

Right?

Any help would be great. :?

Your structure looks good, Shane, but your equation is wrong, (the correct version is the square of the hypotenuse is equal to the sum of the squares of the other two sides). And since you know neither the height nor the hypotenuse, you need a different approach. If you're uncertain about the actual overhang, let's call it 1'5". And half the footprint measurement is 6'1". Add the two together to get 7'6", or 90". Your roof pitch is 1 in 3, so in 90" of run (the horizontal measurement), your roof will rise 30". I was never very good at square roots, so I'd simply make-up a square of cardstock 15'x15' (this is your ceiling and soffit for the overhang), then insert a wire through a hole in the centre. Secure it so that it's plumb, allowing it to rise 30" above the ceiling, then simply measure from its top to the centre-point on an eave.

Wayne

Messages In This Thread