Branch line/ISL
Long time lurker, first time poster...Quick background. Been in the MR hobby for 2.5 years, fascinated with trains since day one. I have built and dismantled 3 layouts to date. This will be my 4th layout. All have been in the same room, which is dedicated to the hobby. The first 3 were a mix of continuous run and switching, accessed by a duck under. The duck under was my bane and will not do another.

My latest revision is a walk in ISL with interchange, small yard and switching. The idea, look and design has culminated from many of your own designs on this forum (for which I'm grateful) and other outside influences. If you feel a need for credit, please post and I will most certainly acknowledge.

I don't have a prototypical location or story. This is my railroad operated by my own imagination. This is what I am working with. Norfolk and Southern power (SD40-2, GP40-2), modern day freight cars, short term leases with the current industrial tenants, pull and shove platform, DCC, atlas code 100, #4 and #6's, MS Excel switching program found on the internet. Would like to give credit, but can't remember where I found it.

The benchwork is 75% complete with 50% of the track laid (nothing permanent). Photos will be available soon.

Here is an XtrakCAD rendition.

Some questions I have been pondering. Are there too many industries? I know I said it's my railroad and my imagination, but does this "flow" ok? I envision interchange and branch traffic being left for local pick up and sorted for delivery. Most of the cut's will be shoved into the industrial siding and switch out one or two industries at a time. Cars will be brought back and sorted for interchange and branch line pick up.

Well, that's what I'm working with. Let me know if you have any questions or comments. I'll try and keep the momentum going after this post.

NSHO

Messages In This Thread