model railroad simulators...
ScrewySqrl Wrote:I've seen TrainSim and Trainz, but my understanding is you can only follow pre-programmed routes, not create your own railroad to fiddle with on the PC (including all the loops we love to make), which is why the model railroad simulator in particular looks interesting

It is, but be advised that the learning curve can be steep; however, you can clone an existing route, modify it and rename the result as your own, using elements form any route in your collection. My ambition is to recreate the Florence and Cripple Creek Railroad one day for the benefit of users, and then expand it to include the numerous coal mines, oil wells and other rail-served industries in this area circa 1900.

The routes you purchase are, of course, pre-programmed but are beautifully constructed, and some have those "loops" you mentioned. There are several in which you can watch your consist going around on one side or the other of your cab as you wind along, and the Yo-Ho spiral tunnels are a masterpiece. You also have turrntables and transfer tables. Thumbsup

Messages In This Thread