Military modeling
The Oahu Railway served/interchanged with a number of military bases. The Army had Schofield Barracks along with the Coastal Artillery (8" railway guns and 12" mortars...plus a 2-6-0). The Navy had a number of Whitcombs quite similar to Bachmann's new 45t On30 Whitcomb in addition to an 0-8-0 (ex-NCNG 2-8-0)...the Navy locomotives frequently helped out in the OR&L's terminal operations. The Pearl Harbor Naval Yard was a major stop on the mainline, and ammunition was shuttled back and forth between the Nanakuli Ammunition Depot and the West Lock of Pearl Harbor (ammo was stored/moved in ex-C&S, D&RGW, F&CC, and NCNG boxcars). Bomb trains were photographed on the railroad...bombs being stored in sugar fields. There were also troop trains and many on-line air bases (Hickam Field, Haleiwa Field, Barber's Point, etc).

Accordingly, I plan on having some Navy and Army scenes on my railroad. The most important to me is a pair of P-40 Warhawks painted and lettered for Ken Taylor and George Welch who took off from Haleiwa Field on the morning of December 7th and shot down 4 Japanese planes. I'm working on the first of these and researched the appropriate color (Green, not the olive drab of the later war).

Naturally, I also need railway guns. Unfortunately, an O-scale battleship would completely dominate the railroad.

I've built a D&RGW boxcar (a San Juan Car Co kit) which I kitbashed to more closely resemble a 4000 series car and will be painting itup for the Pearl Harbor Supply Depot as they had around a dozen such cars. They also had 76 C&S cars, but the D&RGW 3000 series cars are easier to get on the cheap.
Michael
My primary goal is a large Oahu Railway layout in On3
My secondary interests are modeling the Denver, South Park, & Pacific in On3 and NKP in HO
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://thesouthparkline.blogspot.com/">http://thesouthparkline.blogspot.com/</a><!-- m -->

Messages In This Thread