Wheel sparks-What to do?
Bob:
my initial wheel clean is done by putting a paper towel over a length of track, wetting it with track cleaner, and rolling the car back and forth over it. Usually I wet a couple of inches at the side of the towel, enough to do a wheel plus a bit, roll the truck at one end through it a few times, then move to a dry section and roll it some more. When the towel has black streaks, I shift it sideways. Repeat until there are no more black streaks. Turn the car around and do the other end. Try pushing the car sideways against the rail to do the flanges.

I use Aero Locomotive works track cleaner.
I also use the paper towel with locos by putting it on powered tracks and using the electrics to spin the wheels. Doesn't work with all locos.

Sometimes there is gunk that is really thick or stuck. I use a wooden stick (I have a collection of ties) to prod it off. I used to use a screwdriver but changed to wood.
Look at the gunk occasionally. If it collects on one side of a wheel, you may have an eccentricity/concentricity problem with the wheel set. One dirty wheel on a truck may mean that the wheel is being held high.
David
Moderato ma non troppo
Perth & Exeter Railway Company
Esquesing & Chinguacousy Radial Railway
In model railroading, there are between six and two hundred ways of performing a given task.
Most modellers can get two of them to work.

Messages In This Thread