swap meet vs ebay pricing
Larry, you are right on a couple of points. There have been auctions long before eBay was a twinkle in the eyes of it's creators. I remember going to my first auction to buy equipment for the business that we were starting. I couldn't believe that people's bids on used items were higher than they would pay at a store for the same thing new. Just because someone things something is worth $50, doesn't mean you should bid higher, thinking you're going to steal it away. I think they call it, "auction fever".

Secondly, selling on Craigslist and Backpage is risky. There are cases here that robberies occur to both buyers and sellers. I was just reading an article by Kim Kamando about what steps you need to take when meeting people for these types of transactions. The rule of thumb is, meet them in some busy place like a store parking lot, and don't go alone. Deal in cash only. If you have to have them come to your house, do everything out in the driveway, and again, do not be by yourself. It's a bad world out there that you can't trust anyone, thanks to the few that you really can't trust.
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
founder of the CANYON STATE RAILROAD

Messages In This Thread