Track cleaning options
I use the ATF. ATF is not oil for one thing, and it has a detergent in it. I have used about 12 drops for a thousand feet of rail over the past 3 years and it does not attract dirt that I have noticed. This is one of those you have to try to believe. I have 2% grades and the amount is so miniscule I see no slippage.
From Wiki: Modern ATF typically contains a wide variety of chemical compounds intended to provide the required properties of a particular ATF specification. Most ATFs contain some combination of additives that improve lubricating qualities,[2][3][4] such as anti-wear additives, rust and corrosion inhibitors, detergents, dispersants and surfactants (which protect and clean metal surfaces); kinematic viscosity and viscosity index improvers and modifiers, seal swell additives and agents (which extend the rotational speed range and temperature range of the additives' application); anti-foam additives and anti-oxidation compounds to inhibit oxidation and "boil-off"[5] (which extends the life of the additives' application); cold-flow improvers, high-temperature thickeners, gasket conditioners, pour point depressant and petroleum dye. All ATFs contain friction modifiers, except for those ATFs specified for some Ford transmissions
I don't have to clean locomotive wheels either, including the old blue box Athearns.
Now when I say 12 drops, I mean what comes out of an insulin syringe and I spred that one drop with the needle the lenth of track that would do the circumference of a locomotive pilot wheel, and on each rail of my four track main. What has been applied here has worked its way around the 2 50 feet industrial tracks and yard tracks. The fluid left in the cap of a quart bottle after opening will be all you ever need in most cases.
Charlie
I have a couple sections of brass on the industrial sidings and haven't had prolems there, but in this case I figure it is just a matter of time. Goldth
Charlie

Messages In This Thread