GEC's Layout Progress
cnj1524 Wrote:The GP40P looks great,I think after a little weathering & dullcote you'll be happy,I do recall that tru color was to
put out the CNJ Blue but havent seen it listed,I have or had scalecoat II custom mix CNJ blue by RBH's,they had
a limited amount of this made 30 years ago,but all in all it does look correct,from what i've seen of the rapido cars
they look alittle dark(almost NJ Dot Blue)I remember seen a GP40P in 1980,81 in newark penn station while waiting
for the silver star to goto florida,the amout of dirt and grime,you couldnt tell they were blue with silver trucks,even
the trucks were black soot,thats when I first saw a GP40P and afew years later built my first 1

I figure I'll never get it exactly right, but this is so much closer than any other paint I've tried, so I'm satisfied. The scalecoat sounds nice, except I understand that it had nearly NO shelf life.

Now, the really curious part is the truck color. Indeed, many CNJ GP40Ps did have Silver trucks, at least initially. However, I have a published paint diagram that actually specifies blue trucks. They might have figured that Silver wasn't such a great idea after all.

That said, its clear that the lower portion of these engines became so dirty that it almost doesn't matter, because the only thing anyone can see on them is dirt! Icon_lol

Its clear that i'll probably have to do some sort of weathering to really capture the look of these engines. In fact, I think I need to get to weather most of my equipment. Everything is slightly too clean....

Incidentally, I'm pretty sure I purchased Amtrak 968 from you a few years ago!
Modeling New Jersey Under the Wire 1978-1979.  
[Image: logosmall.png]

Messages In This Thread