H0 scale Waterfront / Harbor Layout with steam power
charlie-barret Wrote:
Rscott417 Wrote:Great ideas on the layout Stephan, it's definitely coming together. When you started posting your track plan I thought of this plan that's based on Fulton Terminal in Brooklyn NY. It's a U shape harbor layout slightly bigger than the space you have but could probably be condensed into your foot print. I think you'd be able to save some space for a yard or switching by keeping your harbor area (float and pier) together and give you some other planning options and ideas.
[Image: image.jpg1_zps7zpcvcw0.jpg]

Thank you. In one of my earlier drawings, I tried to put the car float and the peer on the same leg.
I distanced myself from that plan-idea, as I did not want to overload the area and wanted to have the two eyecatchers in different parts of the layout. But thank you for the posted plan, I like it too.

Same as everytime: If I only had more space... Wink

It's actually not a bad plan. Waterfront on one leg, yard & engine facility on the second leg, and industries on the third leg. The above Lance Mindheim New York Dock Railway track plan actually ran lengthwise between the East River and the Brooklyn-Queens expressway. Most of these vest pocket waterfront railroads weren't really maritime railroads with the exception of the car floats.

On another note, smaller turnouts were more common for steam era since rolling stock was shorter in length. There is a lot of flange squealing on these turnouts and curves due to the tight radii. I used to be amused by how such a small railroad like the New York Dock Railway could make so much noise.
Mike Kieran
Port Able Lines

" If the world were perfect, it wouldn't be " - Yogi Berra.

Messages In This Thread