04-29-2015, 08:27 PM
We finally got a warm, dry day with no obligations, so I started on the backdrops.
The ones I'm using are 9.75" by 29". I found some cheapish foam board that's 20x30. I'd already split a lot of that down to 10x30, so I set up in the garage with the sawhorses, L-girders (spare), and a panel of wood. And a deconstructed cardboard box.
I got my can of spray glue and went to it. Procedure was: clip one end a bit in and line up with top edge. Fold back and spray first half; roll flat, then put aside. Repeat until run out of clips. Then take clips off, spray and roll second half.
When all are done, trim exposed backing. (4' say guide and mat-cutting blades).
Fine, except that the spray can dribbled a bit and I sprayed it backwards once, then the button came off. (no loss and it went back on).
The cardboard became a little sticky as well.
The glue instructions say to rinse skin with water. That may do something. Best idea was talcum powder -- sticks to the glue so nothing else will. Then a couple of hours rubbing bits off.
Next interesting steps are cutting the extra buildings that are on white backing.
I was watching a fellow do picture frames one day and he was cutting mats. Managed to do a cut with a single pass. He said that he used a blade for one mat then discarded it. He had a collection of barely used blades that he gave me. They're only tapered on one side so that they cut exactly to the straightedge.
I marked mine with a red marker stripe on the sharp edge and a black stripe on the blunt.
The ones I'm using are 9.75" by 29". I found some cheapish foam board that's 20x30. I'd already split a lot of that down to 10x30, so I set up in the garage with the sawhorses, L-girders (spare), and a panel of wood. And a deconstructed cardboard box.
I got my can of spray glue and went to it. Procedure was: clip one end a bit in and line up with top edge. Fold back and spray first half; roll flat, then put aside. Repeat until run out of clips. Then take clips off, spray and roll second half.
When all are done, trim exposed backing. (4' say guide and mat-cutting blades).
Fine, except that the spray can dribbled a bit and I sprayed it backwards once, then the button came off. (no loss and it went back on).
The cardboard became a little sticky as well.
The glue instructions say to rinse skin with water. That may do something. Best idea was talcum powder -- sticks to the glue so nothing else will. Then a couple of hours rubbing bits off.
Next interesting steps are cutting the extra buildings that are on white backing.
I was watching a fellow do picture frames one day and he was cutting mats. Managed to do a cut with a single pass. He said that he used a blade for one mat then discarded it. He had a collection of barely used blades that he gave me. They're only tapered on one side so that they cut exactly to the straightedge.
I marked mine with a red marker stripe on the sharp edge and a black stripe on the blunt.
David
Moderato ma non troppo
Perth & Exeter Railway Company
Esquesing & Chinguacousy Radial Railway
In model railroading, there are between six and two hundred ways of performing a given task.
Most modellers can get two of them to work.
Moderato ma non troppo
Perth & Exeter Railway Company
Esquesing & Chinguacousy Radial Railway
In model railroading, there are between six and two hundred ways of performing a given task.
Most modellers can get two of them to work.
