05-22-2015, 07:19 AM
Good morning everyone. I hate to point out, but yet another week has passed and we're into our fourth weekend of May (there are five this year). High temps are in the low 80's for today, a bit lower here in Surprise than in Phoenix. I've been comparing the two and although we are only about 20 miles apart, there is most often a difference in the numbers. I guess that's because Phoenix has it's "official" temp station at Sky Harbor Airport, surrounded by nothing but concrete and blacktop, while Surprise has its weather station somewhere in the north side of town, out in the desert, surrounded by nature. Yeah, go just a few miles north or west from where we live and you're in the desert. Few homes or businesses for maybe 20 miles beyond that. Still, sadly, we are loosing our western atmosphere little by little. This month the original Bill Johnson's Big Apple restaurant will close after about 60 years to make way for a parking lot, and the world famous Pinnacle Peak Patio will be doing likewise after about the same run. It's making way for a housing development. These were two cowboy themed restaurants that came by it naturally. At the Big Apple, all the waitresses wore pistols, while at the Patio, they'd cut your tie off and hang it on the rafters. They had tens of thousands of them hanging there. I remember going to the Big Apple when I was going to Arizona State University back in the 50's, and to get to Pinnacle Peak Patio, you had to drive about 15 miles on a dirt road, but no longer, it too is surrounded by houses. Ahhh, those were the good old days..... :cry:
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
founder of the CANYON STATE RAILROAD
Board administrator and
founder of the CANYON STATE RAILROAD

