MDC/ROUNDHOUSE locomotive rebuilds
I spent some time this afternoon lowering the boiler
[Image: 002_zpsxujmbcxu.jpg]
I determined that the step in the firebox is 2mm which works out to around 6-7 scale inches so that was my allowance for sectioning the saddle.
[Image: 001_zpsxyc5o6b8.jpg]
I cut the saddle off the cylinder block and used my bench sander to remove material from both sides, taking care that everything was square. I finished off the sanding by hand. I use a piece of 220 grit self adhesive paper attached to some hardboard as a sanding platform. Sanding in a figure-8 is a good way to keep your sanding square.
[Image: 003_zpsnppuluxr.jpg]
I used the bench sander to remove the steps in the frame. Then I glued the cylinder block/ boiler saddle back together with epoxy.
[Image: 004_zpsbalopiwb.jpg]
After test fitting I found there was a lip on the rear of the boiler that also needed to be trimmed away. After that was taken care of everything fit back together straight and level.
[Image: 005_zpsuhisdhe7.jpg]
Now the next project is fabricating a new yoke. I'm using one from an MDC 0-6-0 as a guide. Unfortunately it's just a bit too large to work on this project but I can use it's basic shape to figure out how to make one myself.

After this I still need to fabricate a new front pilot truck. Can anyone give me a picture of the components with a ruler beside so I can get some dimensions?

Messages In This Thread