Resin Casting
Why not just keep printing new models up? If its a cost thing, I don't think anyone is going to do this work for you and not charge you almost as much.

As far as your experience with resin casting goes, what happened? Have you tried to cast this model yet? What did you try?

It looks straight forward. I would pack the inside of the gondola with casting clay, but leave the edges exposed.

Then I would flip this over so that the underside was facing up, and put this in a mold box of some kind. This would let the bubbles travel away from the master. I would pour the rubber in a stream away from the model and let it fill in around the model. If you use a "thin" stream, you will reduce the bubbles you produce to almost nothing. Let this sit overnight or however long your rubber takes the cure.

Once this was done, I would peel out the clay, and put some mold release on the exposed rubber, and fill in the cavity with more rubber. the bubbles will again flow away from the deck of the gondola.

Once this is done, you're ready to go. Fill your mold with water and push the mold together, then measure the water volume that remains. Calculate how much of each part of resin you need, and pour them in separate cups to be sure before mixing them together. Like the rubber, poor in a long thin stream as soon as possible, and that will help reduce the bubbles. Microwaving the mold prior also helps.

You should have minimal defects.

Alternatively, rather than printing the whole gondola as one "master", You could just make the sides and the floor, essentially making a "kit" for yourself.
Modeling New Jersey Under the Wire 1978-1979.  
[Image: logosmall.png]

Messages In This Thread