Resin Casting
Do not give up too easy on casting just yet. I tried alumilite and it sets up too fast for me.

I use mold rubber and casting resins from smooth-on that I get from Blick art supplies, also have used EZcast or is it castEZ anyway there are more than one supplier out there. Micro marks starter set is a good place to start, but I would not buy the stir sticks and disposable measuring cups as you can save money by going to a dollar store to buy a big bag of wood craft sticks and clear disposable cups. If you use a 1:1 ratio by volume you do not need a marked measuring cup anyway.

Before investing in materials there is a DVD sold by micro mark showing the in and outs of one piece and two piece molds using rubber molds and casting resins I recommend that DVD and watch it a couple times then have at it(oh rubber gloves are highly recommended as uncured resin and molding materials are eye and skin irritants.).

My first attempt of molding was a gondola in S gauge it was simple compared to your model as undercuts can make the molds wear out quicker.

By the way did you print the model your self or was it from shape ways? Desktop 3D printers are getting better capabilities wise but the price range varies from a few hundred to a couple thousand dollars per machine and can take a long time to print out larger items (even commercial 3D printers are slow). Hope this helps some. Also check the all other hobbies section of big blue there is a thread on casting and molding and one on 3D printing that may be of interest as well.

Messages In This Thread