Speeder Shed Ideas
Are there any speeder sheds left?
The best I can remember from Perth (1950s) is that the shed has an office area (man door and window) and 1 or more speeder doors.
I just found a drawing of "No. 2 standard tool shed" -- no Rly, but it's an Alberta collection. Shed is 14'x10', 10'3" to peak of roof. Door is 6'x6'6", hinged both sides. Window in end (no info about other end).
From the 1979 NMRA convention Planbook.

I remember that there were wood rails from the shed to the track -- I think they were bigger than 2x2s, and probably twice the length of a speeder. There was a platform between the main track rails and the speeder would be run out and picked up at one end and turned in the direction required. The wood platform acquired circular dents where the wheel flanges went. Probably had a set of 4.
Outside the shed? Don't remember (I was pre-teen) but I think there were piles of used track bits, mostly spikes and tie plates. It was a small town so things could be left, but new spikes would be in kegs inside. The shed was opposite the station, so it was kept neat. There were loop tracks or sidings beyond the platforms, but I can't remember if the shed was on the siding track or where there were just the main lines.

In Brampton (1980 or so), CN had a shed on the remains of the siding that looped behind the station. At least, I think there must have been one, but the middle was a parking lot and there was a stub siding at each end; the other one served a lumber yard.
David
Moderato ma non troppo
Perth & Exeter Railway Company
Esquesing & Chinguacousy Radial Railway
In model railroading, there are between six and two hundred ways of performing a given task.
Most modellers can get two of them to work.

Messages In This Thread