How long has it been, are you happy about it?
My layout was started almost 35 years ago. It started as two modules to fit with a club layout. But they sold it before mine was ready. So I kept working on it, and added more modules to it over the years. This was all done in the living room of a Mobile Home, and was taken down in the summer months when I did not have time to work on it. In the winter of 03/04 it was moved into the basement of the house, re arranged and added onto. It now has a second level and one of three staging yards mostly completed. Over the years at times I had lost interest in it but all ways came back to it. Before the turn of the century I joined a better club and since 2008 they have been having operating sessions on it every Wednesday night during the winter months.

I always planned ahead with building and never drew up any written plans. Just built bench work that would fit the room then laid what track would fit with lots of long train main line running with lots of switching also. Trains are 18 to 20 cars with at least 2 units. Maximum grades are 2%. And I have never ripped up or changed any thing after it was first done.

I am very happy with my lay out. and if I could do it all over again there is nothing that I would change.

Well maybe one thing, I should have used more uncoupling magnet lifters or electric magnets instead of fixed under the ties ones.
Robert
Modeling the Canadian National prairie region in 1959.

Messages In This Thread