Madras Switching Layout HO Scale
Prairie Trains Wrote:It would take a lot more than spreading a little bit of ballast to wear out a stainless steel NMRA track gauge.

Maybe so, but is it a track gauge which is an accurate measuring tool, [and should be treated as such] or is it a ballast spreader?
Yes, you can use it to spread ballast, but then it might not be as accurate when the time comes to check out a track gauge problem.
It all comes down to proper use and respect for your tools, if you abuse them, then they dont work the way you want when needed.
I have unfortunately worked with too many "tradies" who push tools too hard Nope and wreck them before their time is due. 35 Net result is having to spend more money on tools than is necessary. Curse Let the tool do the job it is intended to do.
I can do some amazing things with tools and sometimes I am rough with them, but sometimes operational requirements dictate that brute force is required to get the job done pronto. Other times a little bit of thinking time provides an alternative which is easier and safer, ie use mechanical advantage over muscle power.
Mark
Fake It till you Make It, then Fake It some More

Messages In This Thread