More car advice sought
[quote="teejay"]The place that I go for emissions, 2nd time now , in Windsor , has a tech who first asks " any dash lights on ?" . He won't do the test because he says it will fail and you will still have to pay the $32 for the test ! Then get it fixed ! ......he even asked if I had the battery disconnected the last few days before the test ... [quote]

Yeah, that one confuses me: if the car is running, with the handbrake on, the door open and the tech sitting in it without the seatbelt done-up, there'll be lots of idiot lights glowing which have nothing to do with emissions. Perhaps it confuses the camera which takes the picture of the dashboard display - since there is no longer an actual emission test being done, it simply relies on the car's computer to tell the camera that nothing's wrong because the light's not on.

In my opinion, this has been a tax rip-off since the day it was conceived - I still see winter-beaters blowing more blue smoke than the crowd at a bingo hall, but cars on which the responsible owners spend money to maintain are dinged for a test that, nowadays, doesn't even show if the car's emissions are worse (not to a point of failure, though) than they were on the last test. I always viewed such results as a warning that maybe a new air filter or sparkplugs might be needed soon. Now, the only warning is to tell you to expect to pay this fee again in two years.

Wayne

Messages In This Thread