Free Layout Design Help
Hi Rob

I like it a lot. I was wondering if you could look at the following:

The 36" extension could this be lengthen to 42"? This section will also need to be 2-3" lower than the rest of the layout (there is an obstruction I need to get under) so the start of the existing three tracks will need to start dropping elevation about 24" from the end of the 72" section. If this does not provide the right grade I could extend the now 42" section to be 60" long to allow enough of the ladder tracks to be level. If this does not work then the extension would need to go to the inside (obstruction is 12" deep and 40" long - fuse box and panel - I am at work so will need to get exact depth and width tonight) off the outside wall.

Also would it be possible to make this wide enough for 4 tracks? If these tracks are going to be longer do I need switches to get the engine back out if they lead the cars in?

Given I want to model the Canadian forestry industry, the 44" section would contain a wood mill, the outside (away) from the wall could be a river with cranes to load logs onto cars or to swing them towards the mill. Two of the other industries could be a wood fibre plant and a furniture plant. The other industry could be a chemical plant or a warehouse distribution location.

Wondering if I will also need a place to do maintenance on engines and provide some storage for this equipment? I will be doing DCC. I will be making the benchwork in sections with maximum length of 72" but likely try and keep sections to no more than 48" in lengths for when I have to move in the future.

Thanks again.

BTW what is the software that you are using to do this? Does it provide radius for curves, switch types (# and direction) and track length info?

Messages In This Thread