Marlpost, Ontario
I cheated a bit on mine, as I wanted to eliminate the old-style block and tackle hoisting mechanisms on the outside of the building, which involved exterior doors at each of the three floors. This allowed me to brick-up the door openings on the second and third floors and put dormers on the otherwise large and boring expanse of roof, in order to accommodate the lifting apparatus. My elevator is actually meant to represent one right inside the door, as it was in the furniture warehouse mentioned.

[Image: DSCF1781.jpg]

Here's the elevator with the building's roof not in place, which better-shows the interior

[Image: Freightelevatorroofoffbuilding004.jpg]

Supposedly, there's an exterior set of doors which somehow slide to each side and rotate back into the area on either side of the elevator shaft's walls. I have seen such a door arrangement, but can't recall where or the details of its operation - it may have been on a piece of furniture or a built-in of same. Regardless of that, the fact that the structure's stone walls would likely be pretty thick would make such an arrangement unlikely (probably impossible). Please don't spread this around, though, as I do like the look of the scene which it allows. Wink Misngth

The furniture warehouse (probably over 100 years old) had an exterior roll-up-type door directly on the outside of the elevator, but there were also slatted roll-up doors on both the inward and outward sides of the elevator itself. This allowed goods to simply move through the elevator between the ground floor and outside loading dock, or in-and-out of the elevator to-or-from the upper floors or basement.

The freight elevator where I worked also had interior- and exterior-facing doors, which were split horizontally at their mid-point - lifting the upper portion or pushing down on the lower automatically caused the other portion to open if the door button didn't work (which was often the case). There were, of course, similar doors at each floor to prevent anyone from falling into the shaft. This elevator could handle a good-size forklift carrying a skid of refractory brick, plus a couple of workers.

Perhaps I should change the non-opened door on the other elevator of Bowyer's to a horizontally-split one, set more deeply into the wall. It might at least look a little more credible, now that I've reminded myself of my engineering faux pas. Crazy

Wayne

Messages In This Thread