Weekly Photo Fun 3/2 - 3/8/18
I've been putting off this job for some time, but finally decided to get it done so ballasting can resume on the upper level. The job is to move a curve on the upper level of the layout, at the end of this aisle...

[Image: Layoutconstructionviews-August-September2014001.jpg]

The curve goes right around the end of the aisle....

[Image: More%20layout%20progress...%20003.jpg]

...and connects to the mainline track which was ballasted some time ago...

[Image: MORE%20UPPER%20LEVEL%20VIEWS....%20012.jpg]

Work underway, with the track temporarily fixed in its new position so that the cork to the right could be removed, and new cork added to the left side...

[Image: S0235631.jpg]

[Image: S0245633.jpg]

The reason for moving the curve (actually, I just made it a bit tighter, down to about 33" radius) is because the two tracks to the right, in the photo below, will eventually be hidden, and I needed room for some scenery to help with the hiding. They go into a staging area in what was formerly my paint shop, on the other side of the wall/backdrop.
The pencil line between them and the mainline represents the former edge of the cork: I simply ran a utility knife, held at an angle, near the edge of the relocated track, then used a scraper to lift the old cork. Some of it was re-layed on the inside of the new curve, and I also used some new cork, too.
After trimming the new inside edge of the cork, I ran some coarse sandpaper over both edges, then vacuumed up the debris.

[Image: S0265637.jpg]

Once the track had been re-spiked into its new position, I applied ballast, groomed it with a 1/2" brush, soaked it well with a spray of "wet" water, then added some diluted white glue, as you can see here...

[Image: S0285640.jpg]

Wayne

Messages In This Thread